Thread: All BS aside ?

Question All BS aside ?

I will start by saying I know nothing about Photography! But think it's awesome. The photos you guys put up on the monthly contest are amazing. I really want to get into it. I drive 5 to 6 hours a day and see so much amazing scenery. Not to mention things on the lake and my kids.
    So here's the no BS part. I fish and as you guys know it's not a cheap hobby. So what would be the best cheapest way to get in to this hobby. And have a camera/ lens that could take pics of landscapes, action shoots fishing, good pics of the kids being kids.
    Thank you in advance.
    Rocco Roberts
    2001 tr-21 triton 225 Yamaha xo66

Pretty much in the same boat as you,just bought a Canon t6i,and have a 55-250 mm stm lens coming this week.Hope that helps with reaching out some.Im right at a 1000.00 bucks for an "entry"level deal..just looking a lenses..the $$ is crazy

I would suggest a good lens. You will NEVER outgrow a Canon L 70-200mm 2.8. You see it EVERYWHERE! I purchased my 1st one years ago and have used it for 1,000's of images. It is great for anything/everything from landscapes, portraits, sports, you name it. Don't fall for the "you need the newest Version 2 model" the older version 1 will do just fine (I've owned both). Used ones can be found for under $1,000 and you'll never need another lens. You'll WANT more but you not need more. Just my opinion.

I know it doesn't sound cheap (and it isn't) but why waste money on something that is less than what you need to do 99% of the jobs you want.

4. Member
    Learning, you can do wonders with a "kit" lens. A pro lens, like TSHOOTER is referring to, is great and a great investment, but will break the bank for a new photographer, especially one that's easily discouraged. It takes more than just good equipment, although good equipment can make a difference once experience is there.

I'd suggest starting with a good kit, Nikon D5500 with the 18 to 140 or a Canon equivalent.

Probably the best resource for new photographers, other than this college course the professor put completely on line at https://sites.google.com/site/marclevoylectures/ is FroKnowsPhoto.com his podcast is more like a morning radio show, but his information is solid, straight forward and easy to understand. He has a great beginners guide DVD.

Of course YouTube is there too.

I think along the line of TSHOOTER... When I got my first DLSR, my thinking was to buy the cheapest camera, and If I didn't like it, I wouldn't have to much invested. Well, that move created a whole lot of frustration and I nearly gave up. The reason for this was, on the (Consumer) cameras nearly all of the things that you need to change to get a proper exposure were MENU BASED... And trying to learn what you need to do, and also learning where in the MENU to find where to make adjustments... nearly made me give up on the whole DSLR thing.... But, I didn't.

Instead of giving up, I spent more money on a (Prosumer) camera... About 90% of the things you need to set to get a proper exposure, are on the outside of the body. Frustration GONE! I have been really happy with the move (Many Years ago) to a more advanced camera, and they ARE more easy to learn photography on than the (Consumer Bodies).

I am invested in the Nikon system, and don't know much about the Canon side of things... Except... I have Friends that shoot Canon and I see that, In the right hands, both systems can produce exceptional results.

I would look at the used market... I have done this myself, and have had good results.

Sorry to have been so long winded... but, you can be money ahead if you buy "Better" camera bodies the first time, instead of buying twice, like I did .

Another thing you can do while you are here is, go to the "ShutterBug" forum home page and there is a topic pasted near the top called "flickr" something or other... some of the guys here have posted a link to their page... once in there click on some of the photos and you will see some of the "EXIF" data. It will show what camera body and lens used to capture that particular image. That may help also.
    Last edited by SoonerCharlie; 12-19-2016 at 06:41 PM.

6. Member
    Thank you for all the advice.
    2001 tr-21 triton 225 Yamaha xo66

I bought my canon 70-DW it has been the best Dslr for the money almost at a professionnal level at $1400 for the kit. Ive purchased up to $3000 more in lenses and flashes I shoot more on a pro level now