Thread: loc r rod

loc r rod

Anyone using a loc r rod? How do u like it?
    Might get one for my new boat. They are just about done building my boat. Not sue if it can be installed this late in the build.
    Odie

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    Anyone using a loc r rod? How do u like it?
    Might get one for my new boat. They are just about done building my boat. Not sue if it can be installed this late in the build.
    Odie
    I just installed one on my Alpha 199. My boat is '09 so it's not too late in the build. Pros: greater security for tackle. Cons: One more thing to mess with.

3. Antique Tackle Guy
    Easy Install either way, I would have them do it. Takes 20 Minutes!

Mark P

4. Member
    I feel it's one of those things that if someone wants in its more harm than good. But it does keep the lazy thief honest.
    Nitro z21

they don't really offer any security. A would be thief just hooks your boat winch strap to it and starts cranking. From what i've seen it usually destroys the fiberglass at either end. Kind of like "the club" maybe a visual deterent, but doesn't really make your boat much more secure.

Personally, i'd look into audible security system with some kind 2-way alert system (sms, radio, cellular, wifi etc).

i was trying to find a pic as i know i've seen it before, this is all i came accross
    http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...ics/10984327/1

6. Member
    I use one. Last summer at a local tournament someone stole all of the setups out of a rod locker during the downtime. It was quick and a target of opportunity and a Loc R Bar would have stopped that particular theft. When a thief is pressed for time they will move on to the next boat. If the boat is in quiet place and they have time then nothing will keep them out. I don't see why someone wouldn't use one just because it isn't 100%. If it stops one thief from choosing my boat it's worth 20 times its cost.

7. Member
    That boat strap winch deal is an urban myth from what I've been told. Most of the thefts are from cracked out druggies. They're not that smart. I'm a believer in the Loc R Bar. I sleep better knowing I have one.

8. Member
    It's also hard to use the winch if the boat is in the water overnight or at a dock while your eating lunch or something else. I agree if your boat is in the middle of nowhere noting will stop a thief.

9. Member
    Legend is going to install the loc r rod.
    I will have it if I want to use it.
    If we stop to eat at a restaurant a table with a window to watch the boat is a must.
    If we have to go in a store like "wally word" someone stays with the boat.
    Thanks for the input.

Odie

Wow.. where do you all live? Must be in near bad areas or parking areas that are very far from your hotel room. Oh and the winch destroying the LocRBar is an untruth.

11. Member
    About the only way to defeat a Loc-R-Bar is with a saws-all (two vertical cuts) and a smack with a sledge hammer and knocking out that part of the gunnel. Like stated earlier, most thiefs will go to the next boat.

just saying i don't think it adds much more security than just locking the compartments. you still need a hammer or pry bar to get into those if they are locked - its unlikely someone will get into it with their bare hands or being inconspicuous, and if they have time and tools (like you said) they are getting in no matter what because they are prepared. I would rather have a 2-way alarm (for less money) so i could maybe proactively stop someone from destroying my boat trying to get into and stealing my stuff it in those situations rather than come across the aftermath once they've gone.