Thread: laptop update

laptop update

I was wondering is it possible to update a laptop. The screen on mine will go haywire for a second or two and will dim and brighten at times. This leads me to believe that the video card is going out. I have a 2009 timeframe ASUS republic of gamers laptop, g71g. I would like to update the graphics card, memory and processor. I really like the big screen on this so do not want a smaller screen laptop and would rather not spent $1000 + on a new one.
    thank you in advance for replies.
    David Latham

IMO by the time you replace the gaming graphics card,memory and processor along with the RAM to keep up to the newer upgrades you will have close to a grand stuck into it.
    If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?

4. Tired of muddy water Texas Rigs N Jigs's Avatar
    It could be the screen itself going out. No need to replace the graphics card, plus I dont think you can replace it on a laptop.
    -----------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2014 Bass Tracker 175TF w/ 75 Mercury

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Texas-Rigs-...11968965774371
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7...7y0GgICAVeTZww

You can email the Asus Corp tech support maybe send it in and get them to put on a scope to see whats wrong with it Im sure they prob have refurb units

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Rigs N Jigs View Post
    It could be the screen itself going out. No need to replace the graphics card, plus I dont think you can replace it on a laptop.
    I'd imagine the card is part of the motherboard?.
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2002 Chevy Tahoe

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A 2009 computer is probably long past parts availability.

But screen issues can be from bad connections between the screen and base.
    Remember, Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

8. Member
    thank you all for the replies. I think I will transfer all pics and documents to the tower pc so if this one dies I wont loose anything. maybe look for a used one in the meantime.
    David Latham

9. Member
    I have a laptop with 20months warranty still left on it. Total Care contacted me and said they had bought all of Evesham's parts, bits and bobs so if anything went wrong with an Evesham product they had the necessary parts to repair it. Cut a very long telephone call short, I agreed to a dd of 4.99 a month for 12 months, they also said they would sort out my old Mesh computer for that too AND include security and virus cover too. Because I had to cut the call short they said they had to phone me back the following day to read out the data jargon etc. They never did, next thing I know is that they had taken out the first 4.99 payment so I immediately cancelled the dd as I wasn't entirely happy,

They then phoned me and I explained I'd cancelled the direct debit but they were fine about it, I know this isn't the experience you're talking about and I've never actually used them for a repair but there was just something that I didn't feel happy with, probably because they never phoned me when they should have done once they'd got my bank details.