Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

Post some pics please, HDS gen3 structure scan

i just installed a new HDS12 gen3 next to the console with a total scan ducer mounted on my JP. I have it below any hull structures to avoid interference. I removed a LSS1 and module.

I would like to see some pics of side scan from others with this combo to determine if mine is normal. I have a larger fuzzy center line than what I had with the LSS1. That line was very narrow and crisp.

Below are pics of my screen shot and the total scan on a TSS mount. My concerns are:

It looks as thought the ducer would be shooting forward if I were sitting in the water under idle power. Right now it's on the trailer level hooked up to the truck
    I have it lower than the sponsons but that aluminum metal under the step of the hull is a "skid planer" that is installed at the factory. Is the signal hitting it?
    Is the line down the middle of the side scan normal?

Thanks for looking
    Craig
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    under advanced on that screen - do you know what your surface clarity is set to? that line would be the top of the water column.. could be you're getting more air bubbles in the current location.
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

3. Member
    that middle line is the top of the water column in your DS image. the 0-3feet at the top.

4. Member
    Ok, that makes sense. I'll check my surface clarity settings next time out. I've seen a video recently by Lowrance on proper placement of the total scan ducer with the swirling water behind the boat in the area right above the ducer where it is now. Then it was moved down further on the transom where there was cleaner water and the image cleared up. But I'm not having trouble with the actual image.

Must a ducer be mounted perfectly parallel to the lake bottom?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If im not mistaken mine looks the same as yours and i have a Gen 2 10 with LSS 2......so it wont be the unit it would be the SS return....just how it is....i'll probably be out tomorrow and if i dont forget i'll take a screen shot and post it....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    thanks that would be great. Yeah, I wasn't thinking the HDS 12 was bad or anything, I kinda figured maybe the total scan ducer may be mounted a bit off and catching some interference with the skid planer.

I sent a few pics to TSS and then spoke to Scap last nite and he suggested trying to get the front of the total scan pointing more downward on the trailer so that in the water it will be more level to the lake bottom. I agree 100% it is not angled correctly.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Next time in from the lake , leave the bath tub ring on it and try to match that angle with the DS ducer. That will be just about as close to true level as you can get.

8. Member
    try this, kind of a PIA but it works..
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FF1E&FORM=VIRE

9. Member
    Mine looks exactly like yours so I just figured I was getting some kind of interference although I shouldn't be. It's mounted to the JP via a Transducer Shield & Saver plus a spacer.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ram rod View Post
    try this, kind of a PIA but it works..
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FF1E&FORM=VIRE
    Thats exactly what I did today then came home and set my TS to the exact angle of the level. I had to slot out the holes in the TSS "L" bracket but that was no big deal.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Thats exactly what I did today then came home and set my TS to the exact angle of the level. I had to slot out the holes in the TSS "L" bracket but that was no big deal.
    Have you tried it out yet to see if it cleared the center line up?

12. Member
    Not yet....work and weather are not cooperating. I am optimistic though, I've got to get a pic up of the new angle of the TS after I leveled it properly.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    BEFORE

AFTER
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    The line down the center of your side scan image is your boat moving through the water, totally normal.

15. Member
    Yup it's the boat line but what I'm unsure about is the size of it and there's more to the left side than the right. My LSS1 never had that and it was mounted up under the skid planer and had a clear view with no obstructions. So I'm thinking this line I have now may be affected by the metal plate you see in the pic. I just want to be sure I am getting a clear shot with nothing to alter the pic.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. Member
    That's a pretty significant change so I'm interested to see if it will clear the center section up. I've seen a lot that only have a distinct line in the center and I'm sure that's the way it should look on a perfect setup.

17. Member
    I was out today and the line down the center is exactly the same. no difference. dang And now if I up my idle speed a hair by increasing the throttle I get faint lines on the left side of the side scan. I'm beginning to think it may be some turbulence coming off the underside of the hull/planer which is obviously the center line of the boat which is the left side of the ducer.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Member
    Bummer... I was sure hoping that would clear it up. I guess I will leave mine alone and call it good.

19. Member
    The new transducer is quite a bit longer than LSS1 - I have a hard time believing your motor isn't in the way (left hand side problem) when its all the way trimmed down. Also I imagine what ever that metal plate at the bottom of the boat is causes a lot of interference with the signal bouncing off it.. can't really move the transducer back anymore though because the motor will be even more in the way.

20. Member
    I trim the motor out and in and only time I get interference with the gearcase is tucked all the way under. The skid planer is what I'm guessing is causing the thick line but now with the TS angled properly I'm thinking underwater turbulence is creating the faint lines on the left side if I increase the throttle a hair while idling.

I think the TS and LSS2 are the same length
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast