Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Structure scan for the front of the boat

Hope someone will know how to do this, or if it can be done

I have 2 HDS 8's, one on the bow and one at the console, and the LSS-2 structure box with the LSS-2 Transducer at the rear. So, when I see structure on the bow I've already gone by it. If I put an additional LSS Transducer on the trolling motor so I can see whats under me at the bow, do I run it directly to the bow unit, and will I still have DownScan, or does it have to go to the Structure box, then to the unit ? HELP !! LOL
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

2. Banned
    With the old graphs that you own, you will have to have a lss module for each graph for the side imaging transducer to plug into. You will be able to choose wether you want to view: side, down or both with a lss transducer.

The new graphs no longer require lss modules and they can plug directly into the graph, if you ever decide to upgrade to a new graph.

3. Member
    Put an updated hds touch screen on the deck and put an hdi transducer on the front and you'll have down scan on the front of the boat.

Well, that sucks, lol !!! Thanks for the info.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

You can probably pick up a LSS 2 box/module pretty cheap since everyone is upgrading these days. If you go this route I would try to find an LSS 1 box and transducer to mount on the trolling motor. The LSS 1 transducer wil be harder to find but everyone that has it says it works better on the trolling motor than the LSS2. I can't confirm but that's just what I have read. I upgraded to a HDS 12 with HDI transducer and I don't believe the clarity is any better than the HDS 8 with structure scan module and transducer. Just my opinion.

Thinking about just adding a HDI unit to the front instead now. Thanks for all the feedback
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Thinking about just adding a HDI unit to the front instead now. Thanks for all the feedback
    You still have to buy a new graph to run the hdi.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcd1732 View Post
    You can probably pick up a LSS 2 box/module pretty cheap since everyone is upgrading these days. If you go this route I would try to find an LSS 1 box and transducer to mount on the trolling motor. The LSS 1 transducer wil be harder to find but everyone that has it says it works better on the trolling motor than the LSS2. I can't confirm but that's just what I have read. I upgraded to a HDS 12 with HDI transducer and I don't believe the clarity is any better than the HDS 8 with structure scan module and transducer. Just my opinion.
    The 8 looks cleaner because it has a better resolution, less pixels to get blurred.

Well, I found a LSS2 with box at a reasonable price ! Kinda glad as now I can use the HDS8 I already have and have the bigger screen. Now I just gotta figure a way to mount that big ducer !! Anybody got any pics of theirs ??
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

10. Scraps
    I think I'm right, you would need the LSS2 and an HDI ducer up front to get both SI and DI at the front??? So that means mounting two transducers on the TM?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

No, the LSS 2 will give me everything. Side, down, sonar, temp. all to my HDS. HdI is a different unit all together. Elite and Chirp
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

Makes me go Hmmmmmmm, With a LSS fixed to your trolling motor, you in effect could have a spot scan????

13. Banned
    No, the LSS 2 will give me everything. Side, down, sonar, temp. all to my HDS. HdI is a different unit all together. Elite and Chirp
    The lss2 is side image and down image only (and yes it has temp), no 2d sonar on it. Not sure what trolling motor you have but you'll have to buy a transducer saver mount that allows the big lss2 and a sonar ducer.

Hope someone will know how to do this, or if it can be done

I have 2 HDS 8's, one on the bow and one at the console, and the LSS-2 structure box with the LSS-2 Transducer at the rear. So, when I see structure on the bow I've already gone by it. If I put an additional LSS Transducer on the trolling motor so I can see whats under me at the bow, do I run it directly to the bow unit, and will I still have DownScan, or does it have to go to the Structure box, then to the unit ? HELP !! LOL
    I am in the process of doing what you are asking about. You need the LSS-2 transducer and Structurescan HD box. The transducer is going for $300. You can get the bundle that has the LSS-2 transducer, Structurescan HD box, power cord, and ethernet cord for $350 at BBC Marine. Transducer Shield and Saver has a mount for the LSS-2 transducer and the pod transducer for the regular 2-D sonar.

http://bbgmarine.com/navico-lss2-str...ad-p-6195.html

http://www.transducershieldandsaver....an-transducer/
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

15. Scraps
    After half a year of using the Lowrance Hook graphs I can see the value in having SI up front for things like grassline fishing. Have not proven that to be the case, yet, but have two HDSs ready for install in the early spring. The claptrap monsterous transducer setup on the trolling motor has me leary and might just try having the LSS2 hooked to the console unit and use only DI up front.
    2017 Phoenix 819

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    With the length of the SS ducer and 2nd combined the TSS bracket will be pretty long.....the other issue is that you have to have the 2d ducer connected for the SS reading to get its digital depth, otherwise it won't function properly.....One reason why some liked the LSS 1 up front due to size.........
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Scraps
    I may put the 2D up front, and connect to the rear LSS2 and be able to switch between the 2D and the LSS2 mounted in back.
    2017 Phoenix 819

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    With the length of the SS ducer and 2nd combined the TSS bracket will be pretty long.....the other issue is that you have to have the 2d ducer connected for the SS reading to get its digital depth, otherwise it won't function properly.....One reason why some liked the LSS 1 up front due to size.........
    I have two units at the console, an HDS-7 gen 1 with a shoot through transducer and an HDS-8 gen 2 with the LSS-2 transducer only. The HDS-7 and HDS-8 are not linked in any way and I get a depth reading when using the side-imaging or downscan.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

19. Member
    I'm trying to learn this stuff too. Wouldn't the total scan transducer give him 2D, down, and side scan, with one transducer?

Ok, here's where I'm at on this now. My MinnKota TM has US2, the LSS2 is too long, so I got a LSS1. This seems like it's gonna work. I also got a LSS1 Box. I still want to use my HDS 8 Gen 2 tho. Hoping everything is gonna work like I want. Crossing my fingers, LOL !!
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast