Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    When i had a 2004 901 I had to grind off the feet of my motorguide pedals to fit the small tray on the boat. Minnkota foot pedal would have never fit that boat
    DONE IT!!! 2002 896 with the Motorguide tour.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

If I have to raise the pedal all the way up to be level with the deck, I'll have to get the St. Louis Arch to mount the Helix on.

Wonder how big a job it would be to cut the original well out and put in a bigger one?
    SaveSave
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Wonder why they didn't make the pedal the same size as maxxum and fortrex to accommodate all boats.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    If I have to raise the pedal all the way up to be level with the deck, I'll have to get the St. Louis Arch to mount the Helix on.

Wonder how big a job it would be to cut the original well out and put in a bigger one?
    SaveSave
    I don't think it would be huge deal. You just have to take your time since the front edge of these boats isn't straight across. They have somewhat of a radius to them. Plus I think once you do it, you'll wonder why you waited so long to do it in the first place...lol
    Last edited by Flippin 416; 12-21-2016 at 05:55 AM.

Wonder why they didn't make the pedal the same size as maxxum and fortrex to accommodate all boats.
    Scott, I think the pedal itself is about the same, but they added foot push buttons on each side of the pedal for the spot lock and constant on features. The base therefore is larger.. Try the link to view.. http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Ultrex/
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

6. Member
    According to MinnKota the base of the Fortrex and the Ultrex are the same. The height on the Ultrex base is slightly more.

7. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbp View Post
    Thanks for that info. You just made Christmas better!

I originally posted this in the Ranger section. The footpedals are NOT the same size (I have an 80 Fortrex and an 80 Ultrex).

I know people have commented on the Ultrex pedal fitting in their recess tray so I just measured my Fortrex and Ultrex pedals. Dimensions are as follows.

Ultrex:
    Width at the heel side is 8 5/8 inches.
    Widest point is 9 inches.
    Length is 12.5 inches.

Fortrex
    Width at the heel side is 7.5 inches.
    Widest point is 8 3/8 inches
    Length is 12 inches.

The screw holes to mount it in the tray are in the same place.

10. Member
    Well that's a bit disheartening. I guess that's not the first time a company didn't know what they actually had.

My Terrova don't fit in my Z7 either I have to tilt it up But I don't use it anyway. I only use my Remote... I stow my foot pedal. That way you can fish all over your boat
    I put it on Cruise control while fishing a bank or blowdown if I deem it necessary Ill just walk fron the front to the back following my Target while still under control..

Haha. For my terrova pedal I found a plastic miderbox and screwed it the the rite side of the pedal so the mon/con auto pilot button were on The deck, then in the space below the pedal inside the box I put all the cables, Very neat finish and weather proof haha

I'm surprised that the Ultrex pedal won't fit in the Z(x) boats. And there should be no problems at all with the new Z double digit boats based on some photos I looked at of the new tray.

The taper/shape of the Ultrex and Fortrex pedals looks very similar it just that the Ultrex is enlarged.

My Fortrex pedal fit no problem in my Z7 and I had it is far back in the tray as it would go, like edge of aft part of trolling motor pedal right up against the carpet. I would think at worst you'd have to slide the Ultrex pedal an inch or so forward on the Z6, 7. 8 and 9 but I can't remember how long my Z7 tray was. If the trolling motor plug is in the way you could direct wire the Ultrex and 86 the big plug. Just check to see if when the power is off to the Ultrex that it doesn't sill pull current like the Fortrex, Maxxum, etc. If it does you can do a disconnect switch at the back of the boat. You could also look at trimming up the carpet up an inch or two on each side of the tray to gain a little more width. The recess on my 2013 Z7 was the same color as my boat (I pulled out the bottom carpet). The Ultrex pedal is widest at the bottom and a little narrower as it rises up. There are no buttons on the side of the Ultrex pedal like there is on the Fortrex. You could grind a little off the plastic around the pedal (or cut the corners off) as well but that might void warranties.

As for changing out the tray. I almost did it on my Z7 as I really wanted a deeper tray. I bought a tray and had the deck taped out and ready to cut and decided to think about it over and night and decided to buy a bigger boat. The only problem I could see with it is the front edge and how the bow panel comes down into the tray. Originally I was going to cut the bow panel flush with the edge of the tray or cut a new bow panel out of 3/8 poly board and run it out to the edge of the tray. If I was going to do it now I'd try to find a piece of molding/weather stripping that could butt up against the bow panel but be flexible enough to conform a little bit to the bow panel.

14. Member
    I just measured my Z9 foot pedal tray and the Ultrex definitely will not fit (tray is too narrow at the bottom). Adding a recessed tray is relatively easy in boats that do not already have one. I agree with Syncros (above) in that it would be tricky to add a new tray given that it has to flush mount against the bow panel to block water from coming between the panel and new tray.

I would love to know if anyone has done this on a Z series boat ... I am going to assume that no one has in the past though because I think the Ultrex is the first TM pedal that does not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjgarret View Post
    I just measured my Z9 foot pedal tray and the Ultrex definitely will not fit (tray is too narrow at the bottom). Adding a recessed tray is relatively easy in boats that do not already have one. I agree with Syncros (above) in that it would be tricky to add a new tray given that it has to flush mount against the bow panel to block water from coming between the panel and new tray.

I would love to know if anyone has done this on a Z series boat ... I am going to assume that no one has in the past though because I think the Ultrex is the first TM pedal that does not fit.

I shaved the last 2" by 3/8" in my 2009 Z7 to fit the pedal.

16. Member
    Thanks for the pictures! So all you did is grind the very back part of the tray? Did you do anything to those holes to make them sealed off from water coming in? Or does the water drain straight from the bow to the back of the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjgarret View Post
    Thanks for the pictures! So all you did is grind the very back part of the tray? Did you do anything to those holes to make them sealed off from water coming in? Or does the water drain straight from the bow to the back of the boat?
    I just glued the carpet over it since it all drains there anyway.Skilsaw, dremel,chisel

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Head1 View Post
    I just glued the carpet over it since it all drains there anyway.Skilsaw, dremel,chisel
    Pics deleted

I like Shakey's remedy for the problem, but I'm afraid I would be too persnickety to not want to fill those holes. Possibly glass it back in (I've never done glass work ) or cover it with a piece of strip aluminum or something like that.

I'm also re-thinking the Dek-It type mount and thinking along the lines of a swing arm type RAM mount. I think there's space on the step up between the TM and the bow light. I have to keep the starboard side clear so I can make the jump from my tailgate to the bow when I launch the boat alone.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

19. Member
    Yes, I keep going back and fourth as to if I want to start cutting on the deck as well. I wonder what the chances are of MinnKota coming out with a "gen2" Ultrex and it having a smaller pedel?

If it was me I would figure out if the pedal is the same size on the Z7, 8 and 9. If it is I'd contact one of the guys who make trays, probably one of the metal ones, and see if they can make a "Nitro" version. Nitro sold a ton of those boats and there would be a demand and if they only have to tool one for all the boats it might be worth their while.

In addition to ultrex owners you have people like me who just wanted a deeper tray.

I could have cobbled together something that would have worked with the tray I bought but who wants cobbled together on a beautiful boat?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast