1997 Ragin Cajun 205 DC

I'm looking at a 1997 Cajun 205. Was looking to get some information on it. I don't know much about this brand, I did some research and read that they were purchased by Ranger? The transom shape appears to be different in 97 versus all the other years and I also understand it's the last year for Cajun as a brand. The boat has some stress cracks in the splash-well area of the transom and also on the base of the two consoles near the front deck. Those stress cracks are covered by the front lids. The boat is white so I assume stress cracks would be more visible.

In any event would like some info from the people who know,

thanks

2. Member
    Sounds like a nice boat. Price needs to be something your comfortable with. Parts are just not available, so if it needs work you will be the one customizing. Some that's OK, all depends on your level.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

Good news, Cajun transoms are aluminum honeycomb composite - no wood. But the stringers and decks are still wood. So you need to look for any signs of soft floors, or leakage around fittings that may indicate water intrusion. If it's solid, and the engine checks out good (have a certified mechanic do a thorough review), and the price is right, Cajun's are fine riding boats. The 205 has a nice big deck with lots of storage!

4. Member
    My concern is some stress cracks around the splash well area of the transom and some stress cracks at the base of the two consoles. Those cracks appear to be covered under the lid when the compartment is closed.

If you can get access to the Cajun and snap a few pics of the cracks, I'd suggest posting them on the Restoration forum here. Lots of great folks who can give you expert advice.
    In a nutshell, stress cracks in gelcoat are not uncommon on older boats. Caps come out of a mold, and are then trimmed and fit to the hull, secured with screws, rivets, fiberglass, sometimes a combo of all of these. In this process, there may be stresses placed on the cap that result in cracks. In your case, if they are not structural issues, and they are hidden from view, likely not something you'd need to be concerned with. Otherwise, they could be ground , filled, and backside reinforced to keep them from re-appearing.