Thread: Bravo talk

Banned

Bravo talk

Hope Mr. Moderator doesn't get mad at me again for my stupid questions.

I'm currently running a bravo xs 25 and my rpms are at 5750"ish". I've read that the 25 is basically a 24 with more cup. What would I need to run to get up to 5900 rpms and would I get more speed by going to a smaller pitch with higher rpms or would it basically be a wash? (Speeds 65mph at rpms posted above).

I tried a fury4 24 and my boat hated it, I guess it wasn't giving me enough lift for my hull.

Would I be better off trying one of Croxtons props or sticking with the bravo series? I really like the way the bravo handles my boat.

2. Member
    Send it to Croxton and let him remove some trailing edge cup. Keep the tip cup for bow lift. Mark will know best.
    And yes, a Bravo 25 starts out as a Bravo 24"

3. Member
    Odd pitched bravos are cupped even pitches. Make sure you move your prop to pad because Bravos run high and the fury runs lower. You may just need a tweak on the bravo, and RPMs depend on which motor u got

4. Member
    Changing to a smaller pitch prop to gain 150 rpm's won't do anything but gain rpm's. It's hard to believe a new bravo xs has that much slip. Did you run the Bravo high enough prop to pad when you tested it? Did you drop the motor height when you ran the fury 4 or just keep it high like the Bravo runs? How many rpm's did you turn the 24 fury 4?

5. Banned
    My boat has a extra fiberglass layer on it that seems to cause a lot of friction.

I ran the fury faster when I had trim extenders on it and the boat was basically empty. With a full load the bravo was 5 mph faster. I ran the Fury from 3" to 4" and lower it was 1mph faster. 5600 @ 61mph 4" prop to pad and 5700 @ 60mph 3" prop/pad. Without the trim extender it can't get enough lift.

Ran the bravo from 1 1/2" to 4" p/pad, fastest up shallow; but the steering got so stiff that it took 2 hands to turn it. Likes 3" best for overall handling. It was brand new when purchased 2 months ago. Seems to lift the whole boat, you can feel the difference in the 2 props.

When I tried a temptest it had 20% slip. It's been an odd experience and all I can find is the hull coating causing the issues.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 12-16-2016 at 06:20 PM.

6. Member
    As already suggested, I would send the Bravo1 to Mark and give him all the details......Mark Croxton can make a Bravo1 fly !!!!!

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    As already suggested, I would send the Bravo1 to Mark and give him all the details......Mark Croxton can make a Bravo1 fly !!!!!
    That's what I'll end up doing, I just wasn't sure if it was better to start with a prop closer to max rpms. First boat I've had that required this much work. My skeeter seemed to have been perfect from the factory, this one is kicking my rear without knowing it's history.

8. Member
    Your prop is close....no need for another one. Make sure that you give Mark 100% accurate GPS and RPM information. If your RPM's are not from a Mercmonitor, then you should have your tachometers RPM's verified.

9. Banned
    A mercmonitor is on the list, as well as new brakes (rotors and all are ruined). I swear buying a used boat will bankrupt me!
    But I sure do like the way it rides, even though it is slow.

Thank you all for the help and info, I appreciate it.

10. Member
    If the Bravo xs is only getting 65 mph at 5750 rpm's it's got 20% slip too and I think your right on the hull being the problem. There isn't a lot you can do about it either. When you looked at the hull is the last two foot of the pad covered with the same coating or is it smooth? You may be able to sand it smooth and gain some speed.

11. Member
    That fury 4 checks at 20% slip also so it's got to be the coating.

12. Banned
    It's all the same texture, kind of like goosebumps on your arm. I've contemplated sanding this sucker down but it has a lifetime warranty and I don't want to get into a mess if I ever have a issue with it. They say that it robs boats of 2-3mph and I'm not 100% certain that my motor is even as strong as it is supposed to be (previous owner skipped a repair step that might be an issue). Might be several things combined and I do need to get a monitor for it and then i can verify all of the data, instead of guessing. There's just so many "what ifs" and they all cost $$$.

I was joking with my buddy and I told him I was going to soak the hull in baby oil so it'd be slippery.

13. Member
    I'd ask the company if sanding two foot of the pad would void the warranty. Your spending more on props than what the coating worth.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    I'd ask the company if sanding two foot of the pad would void the warranty. Your spending more on props than what the coating worth.
    I don't lose much when I sell them and it's kind of fun to see how different they all act. I never dreamed how different a boat would react. The bravo is staying, I just wasn't sure if I should go down a pitch. If Mark can do anything to improve it then I'll be happy. The coating is slower but now when I beach it (launching by myself) I don't have to worry about the rocks gouging the pretty gelcoat.

I can admit that I might have a slight prop addiction and I think it will pass soon.... After I try a razor and a trophy plus.

15. Member
    All the props you have tried have the same slip percentage and that's only showing it's probably the boat. You would only sand the last 2' of the pad not the whole damn boat just the part it runs on when it's up on pad.