Banned

Towing with a Tundra

Who tows with a 4.6L v-8? I have an aluminum Ranger RT-188, maybe 2k-3k pounds max. How does it handle a load like that? Trying to decide between the 4.6l vs. 5.7L. Thx

My first Tundra had the small V8 in it. It towed my 19' glass boat just fine. You won't have any problem.

Tom

3. Member
    Family member had a first-gen tundra with the small v8. Motor was fine, but I thought the Tundra was WAY too soft in the suspension. Towing my 19' bass boat it liked to wander and wind pushed it around a good bit. My 2007 Tacoma is a FAR better towing vehicle. His could have been the exception, of course. But it was the 4-door version just like my newer Tacoma.

You guy's ever wonder how our parents ever towed anything with those puny 283 and 289 cubic engines and the straight sixes?

5. Member
    The 4.6 will do fine. I pulled every sized bass boat under the sun with our old 4.7 4-Runner. That being said it would have to be a hell of a deal to make me not get the 5.7. There isn't much difference in real world mpg and a world of difference in resale and everyday driving. The 5.7 can bring the teenager out in you.

Not much Price Difference,, Get the 5.7
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

7. Member
    Go for the 5.7 or you'll always wish you did. Minimal difference in mileage, huge difference in get up and go. On a flat west Texas road, I can squeeze 22mpg out of the 5.7 Crew Max. The way I drive though, I get a 16.5mpg average in daily driving. I get 12-14 towing a 2004 Skeeter SX-190 and it's easy to forget it's back there.

That said, you won't have an issue towing with the 4.6.

I pull a Nitro Z9 loaded with my 2007 5.7l and can't tell its back there most days.
    Impulse Rods
    Abu Garcia Reels
    Cruncher Baits
    Mizmo Baits
    Pure Fishing
    Mootsie's Sport Center
    K9 Fishing Line
    Keitech Custom Baits
    Fulks' Custom Crankbaits

9. Member
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tundra

If you want to see real world averages with the Tundra. I averaged right at 15 (15.2) for the first 40,000 miles on my Tundra and have averaged 14.8 for the last 5,000 miles. I don't baby mine by any means trying to squeeze out extra MPG. I enjoy the HP and especially the fact that Toyota doesn't gear these trucks for MPG. They gear these things for work. If you hunt in the 2016 and 2015 years you'll find some average as low as 12 and as high as 17, add one mile per gallon if you choose the 4.6 per the app. It tracks actual mileage and gallons used.

Neither engine is going to give you what the GM's will, but the GM will not hold a candle to the seat of the pants pull much less everyday drive of the Tundra. I averaged about 17 MPG, and that's what most everybody else averages with the competition sans Rams Eco Diesel. My FIL has one and let me tell you it's a pulling hoss and WILL beat the pants off any other half ton on the road at the gas pump!

If the Tundra turns out to be as reliable as our 4Runners have it'll be around here a long time. That's where it REALLY shines. I'm not sure about the older Tundra's but my 2015 5.7 takes 8 quarts of synthetic oil just like my 2014 GM did. That makes for expensive oil changes compared to the old 5 quart 35 dollar oil changes. My Tundra is a flex fuel and calls for one of those services every 5,000 miles. Something to consider if you're riding the fence. The new 5.7 equipped truck should have the NICE large 38 gallon fuel tank as well instead of the little tiny gas tank in my 2015. Toyota reserves the last 5 gallons to keep the fuel pump cool. That basically gives me a safe 216 mile range when towing at 12 MPG vs the new 336 miles with the same cushion.

10. Member
    I have a 2000 tundra with the 4.7 and it pulls my aluminum boat like it's not back there. Than being said when I get a new truck I'll be going with the 5.7. If your not going to pull anything other than the bass boat and keep the truck for a long time then the 4.6 should be fine.

I use to have a 2011 Tundra with the 4.6 v8. Towed a 18' Lowe tin and 18' glass Stratos with it. The truck had 4.10 rear gears and I would forget the boat was even back there. The Tundra was my favorite truck over anything else I've owned. In town driving I got 15.7 mpg, on the highway 18-19 mpg, and towing the tin boat down the highway was 16.5 mpg. Mine was a TRD 4x4 and I got a pretty good deal on it as it was the only 4.6 on the lot and I think they just wanted to move it. It will handle the RT 188 with no problems, but if the money is about the same might as well go with the 5.7.

12. Member
    I have a 4.6 in my '13 Tundra and pulled a Champion 188 rather effortlessly. Averaged about 14mpg on the highway. I just upgraded to a larger boat and can tell a slight difference. Gas mileage dropped by 2 mpg.

Pulling an aluminum rig you would never know it's back there.

13. Member
    Not sure if you bought it yet, but go for the 5.7

you could pull it fine with either but if you ever upgrade to a larger boat, pull a car trailer or a spaceship, you'll wish you had it.

also, resell is easier with the 5.7 if it ever comes down to it.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

14. Member
    You will have no problem towing a Rt188 with the 4.6.

I would recommend you go with the 5.7 though. I absolutely love mine.

15. Banned
    Do you recommend this ^^^^^^^ strictly from a towing standpoint, or from an overall truck standpoint?