anyone fly fish in nd?

I'm looking to buy a fly rod and but I am overwhelmed with the line options, backing knots, leader tippet nots, no clue what I'm doing and scheels has not instilled any confidence in my purchasing... wondering if anyone has some time to share the passion of fly equipment with me. trade offs are if we hit it off I fish a lot and have quality boat tow rig.... haha

I have very little fly fishing experience and none of it is from here in ND. I do know of a few people that do chase bluegills at Metigoshe with fly gear though.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

Yeah there are a few hard days for me where there is no wind and on a clear lake like spiritwood I feel a fly set up can trick some nice fish into the boat for me. I have this itch to follow through with this seeing as I keep thinking about it more and more over the last three years. And somewhat I feel if I can level the playing field my dad would out bass fish me for once in 5 years. But he has doubled on muskies nearly getting three to my zero so there is hope.

I'd give it a try if I were you. Spiritwood is certainly clear enough and there are some tank smallies in there. If you get out west at all, New Johns would be another good spot to try to catch a brown fish on a fly.
    26P Tempest

I have experienced the largies and smallies at new johns mostly by mistake while Muskie fishing. There are some nice fish out there. But that isn't as good now that the carp really took hold. I don't remember carp in 2006 and I don't see 4' gators in the shallows like I used to either. What your best ND smallie? Mine is 5.75#

Mine was 5-15. There's still lots of great bass fishing in New Johns. Even having some largemouths show up.
    26P Tempest