Banned

Transom wedges???

Does anybody have them on their boat or is there a jackplate made that will adjust for angle and height? I tried some trim extenders and they helped, but I've read that they weren't good to use because the motor loses support.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 12-14-2016 at 09:04 PM.

im interested in some also I need more lift. I have a tempest plus coming I heard they add good lift so we will see
    1998 202 champion
    ph customs
    Denali Rods
    AFTCO

3. Pat Goff
    Rapid jack can change the angle on their plates, not sure about anyone else.
    Wedges can absolutely help when you're looking for a little more lift angle, they will also change your holeshot so be aware of that.
    If you liked the way your boat runs with the trim extenders, then you'd be happy with the wedge installed.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Banned
    Thank you sir!

5. Member
    Wedges work. The motor mfgrs don't recommend using them as it puts the bolts in a position not squared off, and makes them a lot weaker. I have used wedges myself, but I went with larger 9/16" bolts. I also had thick washers ground at the same angle to make the bolt heads perpendicular (washers have to be rotated correctly). At the very least, go with the larger bolts.

6. Pat Goff
    They change your attack angle, I used two on my flats skiff because it's all about the holeshot on that rig, along with the trim tabs that boat would be on plane in four feet. So, the lesson is, if you want a different result, understand the compromises and change it.

Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Banned
    The holeshot was still pretty good with the extenders on, I'm going to experiment with it one more time and make sure it's going to be worth the cost.

8. Member
    Wedges are cheap so it's worth it to try out. Can also find them used pretty regularly too if you want to go that route.

Cartes custom makes some angled washers to keep the bolts straight if you want to try that too.

I have wedges on my boat and used standard mounting hardwear without any issues.

I also modified my jackplate to change the angle even more also.

9. Member
    From a safety standpoint, although you haven't had any issues, if you do, it will be at speed and life threatening. There are quite a few cases of standard hardware breaking even when installed properly. If you have a 500 lb motor, better safe and risk, by using better hardware.

There is a jackplate with angle adjust, I just can't remember it off the tip of my head. Somewhere on the Stroker board one of the guys has one.
    I have a Detwyler, with a Detwyler extention, that had 6" and 8" selections. I removed the bottom 4 bolts, loosened the top 2, and trimmed the plate down 5*, then redrilled the bottom holes and bolted it all back up. Now I have 5* more tuck with full strength everything.
    \
    If you want wedges, I'll sell you my old ones cheap. I have 4* solid ones and 5* with all holes and slots. ( I wouldn't use the 5* on a 3 liter motor.)

10. Banned
    The trim extenders I have are about 1" long and seemed to have worked pretty good, let me try them again before I buy something. I'm not sure I need 4" unless I'm not understanding exactly what they do. My jackplate is a 10", would that be too much to add to it? If these questions are stupid forgive me because I've never seen a wedge in person, I just learned about them from some of Pats previous post about trying trim extenders.

I do have a merc 225 pro xs.

11. Member
    Bob's makes 2 degree and 5 degree wedges that can be used either way plus negative or plus positive trim. You might need new longer transom bolts for them unless yours are real long. http://www.bobsmachine.com/Transom-Wedges_c45.htm You are using trim extenders so you don't want negative trim.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 12-16-2016 at 09:47 AM.

I ordered some trim extenders, just waiting for them to come in. My motor tucks way to far under the boat, I have a hell of a hole shot, but cant trim as far as I need to. They look like it may be too much, if so I will chuck them up in a lathe and face some off the length. Will try them as they are fist though.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

13. Member
    BOBS 4in1 conv manual j plate can adj for 6' neg angle but only 4'' set back i bought 10'' wedges am confident they can take the strain my rig is hard to plane only 16' with 2.4 220. 4 1/2 bolts will hold alot! ART

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terry5357 View Post
    I ordered some trim extenders, just waiting for them to come in. My motor tucks way to far under the boat, I have a hell of a hole shot, but cant trim as far as I need to. They look like it may be too much, if so I will chuck them up in a lathe and face some off the length. Will try them as they are fist though.
    DONT understand why you cant trim out enough? is your mercury switch killing ign? my v6 will trim completely out at any speed!..

15. Member
    After trying trim extenders on my 203, and having positive results, I installed 5* wedges. I ran them for this full year and they made a big difference.

16. Member
    I used some for more trim for seven years work great .Gained 5 mph