SHO Trim pump noise

I bought a new Skeeter this year with a 250 SHO. Trim Pump was replaced with about 7 hours on it under warranty because it would not hold the engine up. The trim pump makes bubbling/gurgling noises when trimming. Is this normal? It trims and tilts fine just makes noises. The Yamaha service guys said this sound was normal. I have always had Mercury outboards and they don't make gurgling noises when using the trim.

2. Member
    I never noticed any bubbling/gurgling sound but ill check mine out tomorrow to see if its there but never noticed.

I have a 2010 Hpdi that does the same thing and works great just makes a gurgling sound. I even bled the system twice just to make sure I didn't have any trapped air. I have had Mercury and Johnson in the past and they didn't gurgle..Must be normal for the Yamaha.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Banned
    You should slowly crack open the fill cap to release air and tighten up. This may have to done several times before all air is out of the system. Let the motor sit for few min in full tilt position before releasing the fill cap. Use manual release valve and slowly let the motor drop all the way down. Repeat process several times until the pump runs smooth. Refill the pump as needed when all air is out.

5. Member
    The sound you are describing is not normal. It indicates air in the system. You may have to bleed it several times, but it has air in the system.

6. Member
    Follow Rich's advice and you won't go wrong. Also get another service man if he says this is normal.

7. Member
    Thanks Rich.... So I trim it all the way up then slowly open the fill cap let air escape retighten cap, release manual release slowly to lower engine, tighten manual release and repeat until smooth? Does engine need to be supported when it is tilted up all the way and pump cap is removed? Well fluid spray out when tilted all the way up? I am familiar with Mercury's but this is a different bleeding procedure then what I am used to.

Pretty disappointed this wasn't done correctly at the dealer, and when I pointed this out they said it was normal! I have been using trim like that all summer and fall, hope it didn't wear the trim pump prematurely!

8. Banned
    Be patient. It sounds like there's quite a bit of air trapped in the system. Repeat process several times. It will get better. Btw, in freezing weather the pump will make a squealing noise.