Ecu reprogramming

I bought a 1996 200hp powerhead but I have the 96 150hp ecu. I have heard of people getting the ecu's retuned. Does anyone know if this is cost efficient and pratical or would it be easier to just buy a used one? Also does anyone know of a company that does it? Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Gaboy007; 12-13-2016 at 03:37 PM.

2. Member
    Might help if we knew what 200hp powerhead you're asking about. Most helpful if you provide engine serial number/s too.

Please READ BEFORE Posting- Updated 8/19/15
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Didn't think it mattered either it can or cant. But thanks for nothing!

4. Member
    Above link are the rules for posting on these forums. You don't follow the rules, you don't get answers.

5. Member
    Don't get many answers anyway mainly more questions. Again thanks for nothing!

6. Banned
    Try Simon motor sports or Brucato and ask for Tony.

When I talked to Simon was told they could only change digital Ecu. They can increase rev limiter on yours only. You would be further ahead to buy a Ecu for the 200 some on eBay and scream and fly.

8. Member
    I'll give an answer! I'd call Simon and see what he says, have the numbers on the ecu sticker handy so he knows exactly which ecu you have. You'll most likely be cheaper finding a used one on some of the boards or eBay or even some of the boating pages on Facebook if you're on there. Then you sell your old one and get most of your money back. Good luck!

Simon has a whole list of ECUs on their website that shows what they can repair and what they cannot repair. He recurved mine after a Jay Smith rebuild, and recently repaired/replaced fuel drivers. However, I started out with the ECU that came with the 200, not sure if a 150 is vastly different or not. If you had a 225 I would recommend Brucato, with a 200 send it to Simon.

10. Member
    There are a bunch of people really good at recurving xri/laser ecu's.

The 150 ecu's are a bit leaner than the 200's but a pretty similar fuel curve just a touch leaner.
    And they aren't all the same!! Some have had good luck with running 150 ecu's on a 200 and picking up some power if their 200 always ran a little fatter than normal.

Personally I like Dennis Hoffman for xri/laser ecu stuff or evolution marine has a good guy too.

IMO Simon and brucato charge way way too much to recurve a laser style ecu.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaboy007 View Post
    Don't get many answers anyway mainly more questions. Again thanks for nothing!
    Please see the Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED information. That response will not help you in achieving constructive assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Thanks for the help. Spoke with Simon Motorsports and they said they can do it! Sorry for earlier responses, no excuses. Again thanks!

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    There are a bunch of people really good at recurving xri/laser ecu's.

The 150 ecu's are a bit leaner than the 200's but a pretty similar fuel curve just a touch leaner.
    And they aren't all the same!! Some have had good luck with running 150 ecu's on a 200 and picking up some power if their 200 always ran a little fatter than normal.

Personally I like Dennis Hoffman for xri/laser ecu stuff or evolution marine has a good guy too.

IMO Simon and brucato charge way way too much to recurve a laser style ecu.
    Dennis Hoffman for sure. Simon had difficulty fixing a loose fuel driver and when it did run after multiple trips to California, it wouldn't turn up anymore. One trip to Dennis Hoffman and I got my 1000 rpms back. Yes is said 1000. Whatever Simon did put my limiter back in place so I lost 1000 rpms. Dennis got them back.. Simon claimed he never changed my curve but it was

15. Banned
    Dennis is a great resource for sure and will help you all he can