Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Yep, I've been doing Josh's aquarium tubing trick for 20 years or so.

Just keep a coil (uncut) with your gear and cut as needed. Or, cut a bunch of them and put them on a big safety pin. I do need to pull them on with a long-nose pliers, now that arthritis has taken its toll.

richg99

2. Member
    Nice thank you

3. Member
    Everything old is new again...been doing this since the late 80's...I use the lids from the shoestring potato cans...they are bright red...one above and one below the trailer hook...allows free movement of the hook horizontally but limits movement vertically for less hang-ups
    Kevin Robertson

Pro Staff

4. Member
    Here's another easy to use, long lasting (not affected by UV), cheap keeper. Get a piece of the grey telephone house wire (with the red, blk, grn & yellow wires in it); cut it into 4 to 6 inch lengths so you can pull the wires out and discard them. Then, with scissors, knife or cutters on your plies; cut some small cigar bands about 1/8 to 3/16 inch off and use that to hold keeper hooks on. Store the uncut pieces with you trailer hooks and you're good to go. Another use I make of the small pieces is to slip it over the "R" bend of my spinnerbaits to trap my snaps or line in the R end of the bait. I think most spinner baits break in the "R" when your line or snap slides up toward the blades and a fish is pulling hard the other way on the hook.

5. Member
    I have used several different methods with mediocre success. I started buying the Strike King KVD trailer hooks with the plastic coating over the eye and love them. I have never had one come off and I am constantly pulling off of one bait ad putting on another. I do have some trailer hooks that do not have anything on the eye and I am thinking about dipping in plast-dip t see if it works like he KVD trailer hooks.
    2000 Basscat Pantera III
    2000 Mercury Optimax 200

Hey guys, try this:...
    go buy a black rubber O-ring (maybe 70 cents) in the larger size...
    use a razor blade to slice it...
    make slices maybe 1/5 of an inch thick or so...
    use needle nose to pull it thru the barb snug to trailer hook just above it...
    (also used to snug 5 inch swim baits so they stay level much longer)

Nothing has less water resistance or is smaller or is more snug IMHO...
    (was using free cut outs from any soft drink plastic bottle before was told this about 6-7 years ago)

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

7. Member
    I use clear ear ring backers that I buy from the craft store. They are like a clear soft rubber and a bag of about one or two hundred is very cheap.

8. Banned
    How's this for cheap: I always have torn Senkos laying around the boat; I tear off a chunk 1/4" long, and slide it over the hook as a keeper.

9. Member
    I use the rubber ear ring backings cheap and works great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12