Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Squeeling strange noise from the motor? Vid included

2011 Mercury Pro XS 1b825207. I bought this boat used test drive it ran great. Took it to a certified mechanic who did a once over and after purchase immediately did yearly maintenance and said everything he could see looked pretty good. Today was the 4th trip I've taken in it and after the first short run this morning it started developing a squeeling chirping sound that progressed to the point where I got off the water out of fear of significant damage. So frustrating as the last thing you want to do when you buy a boat is put more unexpected money in it. Made sure the coolant temp was 120+ before take off. Any of you guys heard a sound like this from your motor before? Guess I'll send it in to get looked at tomorrow.

Edit spoiler alert: the compressor failed. With a tota cost of approximately 4500 dollars and total down time of a little over two months.
    Last edited by WIUbassin; 02-14-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    2011 Basscat Puma FTD 250 Merc Pro XS

2. Banned
    I'm not an expert, but I do know that they are going to tell you that you will be replacing your compressor. Search you tube for bad mercury compressor and it will sound just like that. Be prepared for a fairly expensive repair bill.

3. Member
    I would start by inspecting the tensioner and the belt.

4. Member
    Sounds like the compressor to me too. If you want,you can remove the belt and turn the compressor by hand.You should be able to feel that kind of damage. Maybe you'll get lucky and and will just be idler pulley bearings.

5. Member
    Lets hope its the compressor but Im afraid I recognize that sound as a blown motor. Good luck, doesn't sound good.

Don't crank it anymore until you have it looked at....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    If it sounds like birds chirping under your cowl it's probably your compressor..

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Inspect Belt, Tensioner and Compressor for damage. DO NOT start or operate the engine again, until the source of the problem is located (and PROPERLY corrected).

If the compressor is found to have failed, report back (there are specific steps that should be taken to prevent further damage beyond what may already have occurred).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Just as a follow up took it to my certified Merc repair shop. The compressor did unfortunately fail. If there is a silver lining I guess they said the bearing had just went out and was caught early enough that it didn't appear as though any further damage had occurred(don't know how in depth the inspection was of the powerhead just what they said. )The compression still tested perfect. Estimated at around 1200ish. I think I'll change the name and leave the you tube video up in case anyone needs a good reference for sound in the future.

Any time a compressor fails it will send metal debris into the fuel system. The fuel system should be thoroughly cleaned and injectors flow tested. Don is "THE MAN" to do this job. If you do not, the motor will not run at its peak perormance is the best scenario or the motor will blow as a worst case scenario.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    I'm not doubting dons ability but I don't foresee myself driving halfway across the US for mechanical work.

12. Member
    You are not done yet with this motor. Get the fuel rails cleaned. Get the direct injectors cleaned. Don is the guy for the job. It's not cheap but must be done. New spark plugs too. Motor gets reset to double oil also. I did all this and so far so good....real good. MM

13. Member
    You would ship him the fuel rails and injectors. There are very few shops (including certified mercury dealers) that have the ability to properly clean and flow test the fuel and air injectors on these motors. Don (Integrity Injection) and Rich (Brucato FIS) are a couple of the best.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

14. Member
    Yes, send the rails and attached injectors UPS. Cost me $145 with plenty of insurance incase they were lost or damaged.

15. Member
    I guess the surprising thing to me is as common of an issue as this is with tens of thousands of optimax motors out there and a worn out compressor being a relatively common issue why would there only be a couple mechanics out there that can resolve these issues?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WIUbassin View Post
    I guess the surprising thing to me is as common of an issue as this is with tens of thousands of optimax motors out there and a worn out compressor being a relatively common issue why would there only be a couple mechanics out there that can resolve these issues?
    Only a couple that can do it RIGHT.
    There is a significant investment in specialized equipment.
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

17. Member
    I spoke some more with the mechanic to get more specific details on the compressor. He said it was caught soon enough the bearing itself had not yet fragmented but was coming loose from the rod(or shaft or housing or something.) and because of that didn't see any indication of metal fragmentation in the lines. You never know I guess but sounds like close to 11-1500 more dollars to go through cleaning the fuel system and shipping off the injectors. As he mentioned it's just his honest opinion that there is no need given the condition of the compressor at removal to do anything further and if it was money he was after he'd stand to make more by talking me into cleaning the whole fuel system. Owning a boat is always a guessing game with many people with many different opinions. Reminds me of the running low priced two stroke oil debate vs. the expensive stuff. If money isn't an option it's easy to make the higher priced decision.

Every time I read one of these compressor horror stories I start looking for a better option to power my boat. Ugh

19. Member
    Hopefully your mechanic is correct, and no metal made it into the lines. Quite often that isn't the case. Do make sure he is changing the two small plastic oil line filters on the oil lines coming out of the compressor. These tend to get clogged with metal particles after a bearing failure, which can restrict oiling to the crank bearings.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

Quote Originally Posted by WIUbassin View Post
    I agree

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast