Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

2. Banned
    Bobby, I'm not taking any sides because frankly I don't know how bad the issue really is or is not...But each brand seems to be having some issues, Yamaha shos were popping faster than a bag of popcorn and look at what happened when the new evinrude came out. Then who can forget about the FICHT issues years back.

What gets me is when the compressor does fail, all the other expenses involved.

Well Grout, we both have opti's and all we can do is keep them serviced and hope for the best. I can't use mine often due to work so I've got that going against me. Word is these outboards must be run.Just research and good luck!

4. Member
    Yep Bobby has a 2008 Optimax, with the Original compressor........8 years of dependable service!

120 hours in 8 years. Bought brand new. I work a lot

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 196 Bobby View Post
    120 hours in 8 years. Bought brand new. I work a lot
    Keep that strainer clean and you might be one of the lucky ones to never have a repair. Not worth the anguish to worry about it, everything we use is going to break at some point.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The level of compressor paranoia by folks that have never had a compressor failure is truly astonishing......

Probably 50% of the OPTIMAX owners World Wide don't even know where the COMPRESSOR WATER STRAINER is, or how to maintain it. 35% of owners probably overlook repeated alarm warnings in hopes that the motor will fix itself. Then the last 15% religiously maintain the compressor, and get alarms checked and repaired when they occur. The importance of having a COOL COMPRESSOR can't be overstated. Let the motor of your car or truck overheat several times, and then see how long it lasts.

The compressor is a small one cylinder motor spinning at HIGH RPM, without the fuel and the ignition source. It needs to run cool, and have oil to live.

HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of compressors are running daily WORLD WIDE. I'm not going to be paranoid about my compressor just because some BBC members have suffered an unfortunate failure.
    Where is the Compressor Water Strainer I might ask?
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

Check the commonly ask questions....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sawguy View Post
    Where is the Compressor Water Strainer I might ask?
    Click on this>>>>Cleaning your cooling water strainer screen on 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Yep Bobby has a 2008 Optimax, with the Original compressor........8 years of dependable service!
    Ha! It still runs. Yes. Had my share of small problems but covered under warranty. (Coils primarily). I hope everything else stays happy as it sits for extended periods of time. Again it only has 120 hours of service. It sure won't pop while sitting in the driveway
    Last edited by 196 Bobby; 12-17-2016 at 02:38 PM.

11. Member
    OT280860 2001 225 OPTI Probably the most neglected engine ever. I use it for 2 weeks in the ocean every year. No service except leg oil. Runs great. I will admit cold starts need some throttle. But other than that I am very happy with it.

12. Member
    I forgot to mention 2 wks of fishing is approx. 500 -800 gals of gas. 0 hrs of trolling. 9.9 kicker does that. The boat is a 23ft Trophy hardtop with a 30 " pod. Fully loaded heavy as hell. I am running a 13" prop but only getting 5400 WOT. (Smartcraft) But I will say it is a rocket when I give it full throttle.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelerg View Post
    OT280860 2001 225 OPTI Probably the most neglected engine ever. I use it for 2 weeks in the ocean every year. No service except leg oil. Runs great. I will admit cold starts need some throttle. But other than that I am very happy with it.
    Fresh set of plugs would probably help with the cold starting problem and gain some top end rpm.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I have had three different optis 200-250. The strainer is really a pain to deal with where it is located. Too bad mercury didn't make it easier to service since it is a critical function. Down here we fish in grass a lot. I really got tired of having to deal with it. Never had my compressor fail though but cleaned that strainer many times to prevent an overheat.

15. Member
    When I bought this engine in 2009 it was serviced. It has always started and run the same. On a warm day it will start and idle. My point is they are a great reliable engine. All this fear of compressers failing is just internet paranonia.

16. Member
    A properly running optimax should start and Idle without any added throttle, even in cold weather.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

17. Member
    I know. I wish it did. It can be annoying at times but it only happens on start up. The rest of the day it is fine. I can live with it. I know this site is for Bass Boats but there is a lot of 3.0 liters in the ocean working excellent. We do not go 80 mph but they get worked hard. Sometimes 3/4 throttle for hours @ 15 mph. They take a lot of abuse and the Opti always gets us back to the dock.

18. Banned
    If the compressor failure takes out the DIs and the motor is under warranty we strongly recommend the servicing dealer to use our flow test report and try to recover the expense of our service and the cost of new DIs. When considering a used motor purchase questions regarding compressor and injector service should be addressed in detail. Regardless of what components of the compressor have failed inspection and service of the whole system including the injectors should be performed! Imo, warranty compressor replacement should include new DIs, no questions asked.

19. Member
    I have a 2015 225 Pro XS and I had my compressor fail.

20. Banned
    2007 250 Pro Xs motor apprx 700hrs, never ever have done anything to the engine until this year. Removed and replaced fuel filter. Removed and replaced fuel line assembly. Spark Plugs looked at yearly, replaced for the first time this year. Pulled compressor strainer and inspected, perfect. Run it like I stole it. Replaced o-ring and power head gasket, because the o-ring was leaking water under WOT pressure. They all will grenade sooner or later.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast