Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long is to long for service work?

Posting this to get opinions and see if you guys think I'm wrong for feeling like I'm getting jerked around by my local dealership. Story is I dropped my boat off 4 weeks ago today for warranty work at the dealership I purchased it from. Nothing major probably just going to need a new battery and or charger. I didn't just show up with the boat either, I called and talked with the tech and he stated that "If you can bring it now we'll get right on it and have it back to you in a week because we're not busy". Fast forward 4 weeks and my boat is still sitting in the same spot on the lot where I dropped it off. I was in the area last week and stopped by to check on it and was told it was on the schedule for the upcoming week. Mind you this is 3 weeks after I was told it was going to be looked at and today I stopped back by and they still haven't touched it and couldn't tell me when they can get to it. I generally don't mind and fully understand it takes time for stuff like this but what I really don't like is being lied to about when it'll be worked on. What do you guys think? I mean is this the normal for marine service because I'm really tempted to go get it and find someone else.

2. Member
    Not normal at all. I've taken my boat in for much more than that and always had it back in a week or less. I'd be calling them every day until I got it back, or taking it somewhere else. That's ridiculous. If they can't tell you why it's taking that long then there is ZERO excuse.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

3. Member
    Our season up here is a whole lot shorter so a month without a boat would be unacceptable. the absolute longest I have had to leave my boat at the marina was 1 week. And that was because I didn't feel like driving the hour to go pick it up when I was going to be up there on the weekend anyway. I drop my boat off, it is looked at that day or the day after. If it needs parts, they call me and tell me when they will be in. I'd be pissed if my boat was sitting there for a month and they haven't even looked at it. If they have looked at it and are waiting for something, that would be a different story but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

4. Member
    When I call and make an appointment I expect it to be worked on the day I bring it in. Waiting for parts is the only reason it should sit around for any length of time.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

5. Banned
    WOW 4 weeks from the purchasing dealership?!!? Totally Unacceptable!! My purchasing dealership gives me "Front of the Line Privileges" for boat AND trailer. Take in Monday morning have it back Wednesday,Thursday at latest, for regular maintenance or breakdown,if parts are needed they're overnight. That's the way you should be treated. Obviously not all dealerships are created equal. Go else where!!!!
    FWIW I take them doughnuts and couple cases of Cokes to show my appreciation, also bought the shop lunch a few times, money well spent.

Man that sucks, 4 weeks warranty or not is too long for a simple battery/charger issue! At this point I would press them to get it done asap but then not go back to that place. Good luck!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    after the second lie i would have went and got my boat,stop by about auto parts place and have them load test the batteries and see if the are bad,if they are most places will put them in for you.no way my boat would have sat outside like that for a 2 hour job

8. Member
    1 week would be unacceptable. You gotta be able to replace a battery yourself though.

9. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Auto mechanics can't get away with that so someone tell me how boat mechanics can. With my truck, I make an appointment, drop it off the night before and pick it up by end of next day. I can understand waiting on parts but the OP's boat never moved for 4 weeks. Pathetic

Dale Sinclair original

Thanks for the opinions. I kind of figured I wasn't over reacting. Just called and talked with the manager over the entire dealership and he assured me my boat would be in the bay first thing Monday morning. I thanked him but made it clear I didn't appreciate the run around and if not I'd be there to get it Tuesday morning!

After telling you 1 week, 4 weeks is normal from a bad repair shop only. I'd get it out of there. Unfortunately around here most shops are like the one you used.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    1 week would be unacceptable. You gotta be able to replace a battery yourself though.
    I can replace about anything on the boat I want but the thing is the boat is less than a year old with under 20 hours. If I replaced it myself what would be the purpose in a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Posting this to get opinions and see if you guys think I'm wrong for feeling like I'm getting jerked around by my local dealership. Story is I dropped my boat off 4 weeks ago today for warranty work at the dealership I purchased it from. Nothing major probably just going to need a new battery and or charger. I didn't just show up with the boat either, I called and talked with the tech and he stated that "If you can bring it now we'll get right on it and have it back to you in a week because we're not busy". Fast forward 4 weeks and my boat is still sitting in the same spot on the lot where I dropped it off. I was in the area last week and stopped by to check on it and was told it was on the schedule for the upcoming week. Mind you this is 3 weeks after I was told it was going to be looked at and today I stopped back by and they still haven't touched it and couldn't tell me when they can get to it. I generally don't mind and fully understand it takes time for stuff like this but what I really don't like is being lied to about when it'll be worked on. What do you guys think? I mean is this the normal for marine service because I'm really tempted to go get it and find someone else.
    I'd go pick it up. Thankfully my dealer always worked with me on drop off. I'd schedule the service and drop it off a day or 2 before if they are busy.
    Last edited by BMCD; 12-12-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

That's ridiculous...I would have had a polite, but assertive conversation with them after week 1.

I'm with everyone else. But you need to talk to the dealership owner before this is all said and done. He or she may not be aware of the service department's shortcomings. The service manager may be blowing smoke up the owners arse (it happens on a regular basis). And when you're done, if they haven't made you 100% happy, contact the BBB and post your complaints on social media. Most places today thrive or die on social media. Give them a black eye because they've been jacking you around and maybe they will wake up. Just don't make stuff up. Describe only what actually has transpired.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    That's a damned shame!!! I call my Merc expert and make an appointment. I bring it to him the day of the appointment by about 10:30 AM, go shopping or to lunch, and pick it up, ready to go, at 2:PM or shortly after. I am lucky...my expert mechanic is Lee Sanderson...the best of the best!!!

He is busy, but accomodates his customers...not himself!!!

I call and make an appointment then bring it in at the scheduled time and say I'll wait for it. I let them know I will just bring my laptop and work from their customer waiting area then I find my way out into the shop and pester the heck out of them. Soon after they get it fixed and usher me out as fast as possible. I'm starting to think they don't like me.

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ive had the same thing happen on a few occasions at my local skeeter dealer (when i had my skeeter).....boat was brand new off the lot from them and had to bring it there a few times for warranty stuff....same story, drop it off we will get to it right away....i'd drive by weekly and boat would still be in the same spot.....i didnt expect my boat to be put before others but didnt expect it to sit there forever......after the last trip i had there i quit going....had another dealer in town, it were busy, they'd put my name on list and when they got to it, call me the day before to bring boat in, it would be there for a day and then i'd go pick it up.....needless to say, i never went back to the Skeeter dealer....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Hopefully the guy keeps his word and gets my boat done first of the week. This is the second boat in less than 2 years I've purchased from them and you can bet there will not be a third.

20. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Hopefully the guy keeps his word and gets my boat done first of the week. This is the second boat in less than 2 years I've purchased from them and you can bet there will not be a third.
    Sucks they gave you the run around. If this is a new boat, let the boat manufacturer know of your experience with this dealer.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast