Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bass boat Towing with a Class A Motorhome

Has anyone towed a bassboat behind a large Class A Motorhome? Looking for do's and don'ts.
    2013 Allison BasSport Pro
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Launching is a major issue. Many folks add a front hitch for that reason.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    It's ok if you have 3 people when launching--1 as a guide (spotter) 1 in the boat and 1 driving.
    Rocket

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Launching is a major issue. Many folks add a front hitch for that reason.
    Good idea right there ^^^
    On second thought, would there be enough traction/weight in reverse to back up a slippery ramp?

Better off to tow boat with another puller. brak camp each time need to get boat off lake isn't fun.. Then the possibility of too steep of a ramp and MH wont pull.. Never used 33' MH for that , 454 Chevy plenty of power sure.. but take no chances.. lolo

6. Banned
    I did just that for a couple of years. That is why I have owned truck campers the last 14 years. Motorhomes are a pain in the butt to launch and retrieve a boat with. You would definitely need a back up camera.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I tow with a 41 foot diesel. Forget about launching and loading most ramps on the lakes we fish would be impossible to have enough space to turn let alone launch. When we use it we are always with other family with trucks towing there rigs so we just unhook and use there vehicle to launch and load. Most rv park owners are more then willing to use there vehicles or tractors to launch your boat on there private ramps.

8. Member
    This is the main reason I don't have a Class A diesel pusher. Also every time you want to put the boat in or out you have to break camp. I triple tow with a 5th wheel.

I do it all the time with a 35ft class A with a Ford v10 gasser. The biggest problem is whether there is room to maneuver at the launch. Just turning around can be an issue. I never had a problem with traction but the ramps I used weren't super steep.

10. Member
    I also do it all the time by myself. Tie a parachute cord on bow of boat tie other end on back of trailer. if in doubt lay pole across back of boat where you can see tip from Mh drivers seat. Back in slow keeping eye on tip as well as pass side of mh. Ease in ,slowly pull forward stop unhook go tie up ,,park . my wife used to back me in with a 44' pusher , we used two cheap walkie talkies I would sit on passenger seat of boat and give her instructions like I was backing in by myself No problem you talk she listens no need for response. I'm sure being a dock hosteler backing in semis for over 20 years might have helped.lol

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    I also do it all the time by myself. Tie a parachute cord on bow of boat tie other end on back of trailer. if in doubt lay pole across back of boat where you can see tip from Mh drivers seat. Back in slow keeping eye on tip as well as pass side of mh. Ease in ,slowly pull forward stop unhook go tie up ,,park . my wife used to back me in with a 44' pusher , we used two cheap walkie talkies I would sit on passenger seat of boat and give her instructions like I was backing in by myself No problem you talk she listens no need for response. I'm sure being a dock hosteler backing in semis for over 20 years might have helped.lol
    99% of the ramps I go to my Megacab cant make the turn in one shot so I know a 40' DP ain't gonna do it plus like I said, I don't want to have to break camp at 5am to go put the boat in. I'll stick with pulling my boat behind my 42' 5th wheel. LOL

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    99% of the ramps I go to my Megacab cant make the turn in one shot so I know a 40' DP ain't gonna do it plus like I said, I don't want to have to break camp at 5am to go put the boat in. I'll stick with pulling my boat behind my 42' 5th wheel. LOL
    Agreed... Id love to know where all these huge ramps are..things must be different down South compared to up North. I have yet to find a ramp lot that has enough room to manuver my 41 foot dp and Ranger. Backing down the ramp and launching ya thats simple especially with rear and side view cameras. Its the room to manuver and turn thats the issue. Then finding room to park 60 feet of rig.

13. Member
    Il. In. Don't know about where you guys live

14. wsimpson
    Struggled with this issue. Had 42' HR Navigator Class A w/tag and never thought about trying to launch with it. Too many issues including: turning radius, chassis ground clearance even with all air ride bags inflated. Considered leasing a truck or sharing accommodations (pro/co) after docking but just decided to sell the Diesel Pusher and consider other options...

This is why I have a truck camper ......It's gonna be hard to downsize from a 42' motor home to a truck camper, but there are more triple slide truck campers hitting the market every day.......but for the big ones you gotta have a LOT of truck. You can off load the truck camper when you get where you are going and just use the truck when launching the boat.
    I've had a truck camper since 1989 and can't imagine using anything else for camping/fishing. My current one is a Lance 1181 with a dry bath and a 1 ton regular cab diesel dually....Regular cab = more payload capacity and short turning radius. Almost every year now the payload capacities increase .... so an extended c ab 3500's may now be OK with the larger campers. Once I get mine full of water and stuff it is around 5000 lbs.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    This is why I have a truck camper ......It's gonna be hard to downsize from a 42' motor home to a truck camper, but there are more triple slide truck campers hitting the market every day.......but for the big ones you gotta have a LOT of truck. You can off load the truck camper when you get where you are going and just use the truck when launching the boat.
    I've had a truck camper since 1989 and can't imagine using anything else for camping/fishing. My current one is a Lance 1181 with a dry bath and a 1 ton regular cab diesel dually....Regular cab = more payload capacity and short turning radius. Almost every year now the payload capacities increase .... so an extended c ab 3500's may now be OK with the larger campers. Once I get mine full of water and stuff it is around 5000 lbs.
    Now days a loaded up Crew Cab diesel will handle a 5,000# TC no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    Now days a loaded up Crew Cab diesel will handle a 5,000# TC no problem.
    Yes .... The payloads are getting better every year. Mine is a 2013 and my payload is 5076.....The crew cabs that year were significantly less than that.

Some of those triple slide fully loaded are much heavier than that also......and the manufacturers tend to cheat when publishing the weights .....but they are starting to figure out how to make them lighter. This one looks pretty sweet https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater and is supposed to be a little lighter.

If I was independently wealthy I would get a Host triple slide and a truck that would handle it. http://www.hostcampers.com/product-details-mammoth.html

18. Member
    Don't forget the extended tongue weight when you have the truck camper. That adds to the camper weight as well. I'm calculated at over 6000 lbs with my Arctic Fox 990. 1 ton gas dually crew cab. Couldn't get payload with diesel and the luxuries on camper and in truck.

19. Member
    I love camping and fishing with our truck camper. Just drop the camper off the truck and hook the boat back up. ready for the weekend !
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's what I do too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast