Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It's a PITA to be honest. I did it a few seasons. Triple tow with a 5th wheel or truck camper if it is large enough to suite your needs. As mentioned above, breaking camp to launch (if needed) and waking everyone up is a major issue. Backing it down the ramp is another hassle. Good luck getting someone to back you in.

2. Member
    interesting thread, we bought a 35 ft class A recently, and i have wondered about towing a boat

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Towing the boat not the issue, launching it is the hassle. I wont even attempt launching with my 41'. And no room to manuver around the ramp parking lots.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    I'll stick with pulling my boat behind my 42' 5th wheel. LOL
    Your overall length in a rig like that likely exceeds the max in most, if not all, States. You have to be close to 60' before you even hook up a boat.
    http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/towing-laws.htm

I've read some real horror stories about getting caught doing that. They get a large ticket, have to drop one trailer, get the other across the next state line, go back for the dropped one, then hook them all back up and keep going. To make that work legally, you need a short 5th wheel. And many states don't allow triple towing at all.
    John

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jejb View Post
    Your overall length in a rig like that likely exceeds the max in most, if not all, States. You have to be close to 60' before you even hook up a boat.
    http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/towing-laws.htm

I've read some real horror stories about getting caught doing that. They get a large ticket, have to drop one trailer, get the other across the next state line, go back for the dropped one, then hook them all back up and keep going. To make that work legally, you need a short 5th wheel. And many states don't allow triple towing at all.
    I love when people put the links up to these sites that have the so called towing laws. LOL .40' motorhome with my boat will be over length in most states. I also know for a fact that Georgia don't have laws that they follow for recreational. I called them before I went. Alabama, same thing. I promise, if a LEO seen a guy trying to get on a ramp around here with a 40' pusher trying to back his bass boat down he would question him quicker than me rolling down the road in my rig. HAHAHA!!!

You have to be close to 60' before you even hook up a boat.
    Actually my camper and boat from front cap to prop is 70' before I hook the truck to it. I promise you I can put it in places a lot of people can't get 1 trailer into. I know, I've seen me do it.

6. Member
    I don't mean to get in a pissing contest with you. If you have a better site about towing laws, please post it. Until then, I'm going to assume that the link I provided is accurate. And it says that triple towing is flat out illegal in AL and GA. You may take your chances and not get caught, but that does not mean it is legal, and it does not mean everyone is so lucky. Do what you want and all. I was only trying to point out the legalities of towing triples.
    John

7. Member
    Yeah, as you know laws change. The best way to do it is call the states DOT that you are going to travel. That's what I did in both AL and GA. I believe the horses mouth is more accurate than a link on the internet that is years old. I don't want a pissing match either but tell me where pulling two trailers is any more illegal than using a motorhome that will be over the legal length? A 40' diesel pusher hooked to a Nitro Z9 will be 70' long.

8. Member
    Laws do change, are you are right about asking. But I'd want to see it in writing before I'd risk it. I can't find anywhere that says AL or GA allow non-commercial triples.

A 40' motorhome with a full sized bass boat might be over 65', and potentially a ticket. But a triple tow, especially in a state where it is flat out illegal, is going to get a lot more LE attention, I'd wager.
    John

9. Madfish
    you can find a good used stacker trailer fairly reasonable --- if you look long enough!!!

10. Member
    I towed my 5th wheel and boat all over GA and Alabama and never got a second look. Maybe it wasnt worth the hassle.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Triple towing on the east coast and northwest is illegal and is only legal in about 25 of the 50 states.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram2012 View Post
    I love camping and fishing with our truck camper. Just drop the camper off the truck and hook the boat back up. ready for the weekend !
    Me too! I would like to have more room but we spend most of our time outside anyway

2013 721 Phoenix 250 Optimax Pro XS
    2020 Ram 3500
    2021 Host Cascade Truck Camper

13. Member
    45'Prevost pulled a 19' stratos. No problem backing using camera. Hambys on boat hull. Long nylon rope with one end attached to trailer one to bow eye back slowly until tight slowly pull forward . Get out park boat and go fishing. Real problem finding room to park the train. Did this for 5 years. Sold provost downsized 23' class c 16' aluminum harder to see no backup camera.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram2012 View Post
    I love camping and fishing with our truck camper. Just drop the camper off the truck and hook the boat back up. ready for the weekend !
    Nice rig. I run an Arctic Fox 990 on a Dodge 3500 dually with my 186 Champion. I really prefer the TC if your going to pull an additional trailer.
    To the OP, yes, you can make a motorhome work, or even a 5th wheel and pull doubles. I have tried both and the TC is the easiest, most convienient way to go IMO.
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Colorado

15. Member
    Thanks , i enjoy it. Its easy,quick to unload the camper and you can still have enough room to park the truck and boat next to the camper at night.

16. Member
    I've towed my 21 ft. Shadow behind my 35 ft. RV and usually don't have problems unless we stop to eat on the way . 63 ft. From front bumper to prop. I even launch my boat with the RV. Backup camera's a must . It just takes careful planning to make sure that the campsite boat ramp has the room to maneuver .
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Member
    I have 40 foot class A diesel pusher and as most have stated pulling is NO issue. But a friend or camping neighbor to load and unload at the ramp is the only way to go once you get to the lake. If you don't have a rear view camera make that investment....and make sure you get infer red so you can see out back in the dark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12