Thread: Smoking Wood

Smoking Wood

I have an electric smoker so I don't need much wood. I've been using the bagged chips but they are so very dry and who know how long in storage. So I've started collecting my own wood.
    The questions is: Is there any difference between using old wood from the trunk that may be many decades old, or the young wood from branches 2" to 4" across?

2. Member
    Any wood that has been packaged and shipped to a store has been dried to remove some or most of the tannin to make it safer to ship. The tannin is most of what gives of the scent of the wood when it is burned or smoked with. Using fresh cut wood will make a definite difference....even if/when the wood becomes seasoned and dry...much better than store bought. My favorite is pecan wood....

3. Banned
    Listen to Edward...he showed me this truth he speaks.

4. Member
    Cooking in a custom offset smoker I've found using small branch wood only, makes my BBQ darker in color. I've no scientific reason or research, it just does for me. I never use branch wood in comp.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

5. Member
    Its darker due to the tannin in the fresh wood...which produces a much more potent smoke...darker smoke shall we say...Merry Christmas!

6. Member
    Try different woods until you find one you like. My favorites are hickory and apple. I can't stand pecan wood.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow