Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question for the experts

OK folks, if you were going to look at 5-12 year old 5th wheel or bumper pull, what brands would you look at and what brands would you steer clear of. For the most part it would not be a traveler, just park it and possibly live in it full time temporarily. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

2. Banned
    I'm no expert,But have been happy with my last 2 Cardinals,Here's some to look at Cedar Creek,Montana,Big Horn,Big Country,Jayco Pinnacle or Eagle,Hitchikers,Excel,Mobil Suites. and Holiday Ramblers,
    when you look at them go up on the roof to see how well it was taken care of.Check for soft spot at front and rear caps,around all vents,Check for any stress cracks on 5th wheels around bedroom slide.Make sure all appliances work on gas and electric.
    If you find one and have any questions let me know good luck.

3. Member
    How about KZ, which list would they hit (yes or no)

4. Banned
    Knew I was forgetting some.Yes KZ has a good reputation.The few people I know that have owned one have been happy with it.

5. Member
    Jayco is a great choice. I have owned 7 different ones and it is by far my favorite.

I'd look more at how it's been taken care of than brand, assuming you look at the more well known brands. My opinion, most are built about the same, most use the same components which is Lippert or Dexter. I'm trying to sell a like new toy hauler that's been stored inside a fully enclosed storage unit since buying it new. I've bought both new and used and for me I wouldn't even look at used ones if they'd been sitting outside the whole time. Find the floor plan you like and go from there, that's my suggestion.

7. Member
    Great info. New is not in the budget until the house sells and then I think it's only gonna be temporary. I dont want to tie up a bunch of money in one then have trouble selling it. Might only be 1-2 years max. Keep info coming though. Thanks!

8. Member
    You may want to check out Park Model trailer,s for you're purpose. Put one on or near a Lake and have a "fish camp" when the house is ready.

9. Member
    So long as it is not a Keystone brand. Don't be tempted as they will be the cheapest

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

10. Member
    It would have to be a Open Range or Jayco and I have had a few different ones.

11. Member
    Used to have a Keystone, will not do that again. Have an Open Range, pretty good so far for the last 2.5 years.
    Nelson

12. Member
    I bought a new Dutchmen Denali 37 ft TT last August. I use it like you are planning to do. So far so good.

13. Banned
    I would suggest trying to stay away from a 12 year old unit. If you had to re-roof one, it'd drain your pocketbook. Try to go as new as possible and don't even think about buying any camper with aluminum siding.

I've got a 2 year old Grand Design Reflection fifth wheel, and it's really an up and coming brand. We love it.

You can get more for your money if you go for a mid-size unit weighing 11-12K lbs. max. The full size units will weigh in @ 14K-15K lbs., and it takes a dually to pull them. They're also $15-$20K more new and less of a good buy on the used market.

14. Member
    I need to stay with something my 3/4 Duramax will pull. Bigger truck is not in the budget (Momma says no!)

15. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    So long as it is not a Keystone brand. Don't be tempted as they will be the cheapest
    Quote Originally Posted by n_gong View Post
    Used to have a Keystone, will not do that again. Have an Open Range, pretty good so far for the last 2.5 years.
    Nelson
    So why the "hate" for Keystone? What model(s)? We are about to purchase a 5th wheel to use for 5-6 months of snowbirding. We've poked around several 2016 and 2017 Montanas and they didn't seem any "worse" or cheaper than the equivalent Big Country's or Cedar Creeks that we've looked at.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 04-28-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    So why the "hate" for Keystone? What model(s)? We are about to purchase a 5th wheel to use for 5-6 months of snowbirding. We've poked around several 2016 and 2017 Montanas and they didn't seem any "worse" or cheaper than the equivalent Big Country's or Cedar Creeks that we've looked at.
    Interesting, I'd be curious to here also. You see a gazillion of them on the road and campgrounds around here. Is it because they may be an entry level or what?

Are the Holiday Ramblers a pretty good trailer?

Holiday Rambler make great MH. < Ol Gal is a 1983 Imperial . 68,000 miles it sat more than got used. over the road trucking had plenty of traveling..lolo. and I'd take a paying load to where wanted to vacation at, and just rent a car lolo. it was mostly used at local lake w camp ground, a few endeavors in woods for deer hunting . Their Trailers are well built, metal roofs Interiors are about the same. But we had a few TT over time and have another now with metal roof. we had one TT with the rubber membrane roof,, never again those will rot n leak over a few years, maintained and kept clean, they will still Rot and leak
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Most Montanas, Cedar Creeks and Big Countrys are considered "full size" fivers, and they get a little heavy for a 3/4 ton diesel truck. The problem is that the kingpin weight (on the hitch) will be a little heavy, however they have the power to tow'em. By the time all of your "stuff" is put in the trailer, the fuel tank filled, the fifth wheel hitch and passengers are added, the truck's going to be over weight.

My 3/4 ton diesel has the heaviest suspension with air bags on the rear, and I'm uncomfortable with any fifth wheel weighing over 11K lbs. with a kingpin weight of 2K lbs. The mid size units on the market will fit the bill. I think Montana, Heartland and Cedar Creek does have a line of midsize fifth wheels that have plenty of room with 3-4 slides.

19. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Most Montanas, Cedar Creeks and Big Countrys are considered "full size" fivers, and they get a little heavy for a 3/4 ton diesel truck. The problem is that the kingpin weight (on the hitch) will be a little heavy, however they have the power to tow'em. By the time all of your "stuff" is put in the trailer, the fuel tank filled, the fifth wheel hitch and passengers are added, the truck's going to be over weight.

My 3/4 ton diesel has the heaviest suspension with air bags on the rear, and I'm uncomfortable with any fifth wheel weighing over 11K lbs. with a kingpin weight of 2K lbs. The mid size units on the market will fit the bill. I think Montana, Heartland and Cedar Creek does have a line of midsize fifth wheels that have plenty of room with 3-4 slides.
    Thanks for the info. Whatever unit we decide on will be towed with a new F350.

Still not sure why those two posters singled out Keystone.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

20. Member
    I have grown to learn that the term "quality control" does not exist in the RV industry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast