Ram 2500 Diesel Oil Change

I just passed 5K on my new 2500 Cummings and was wondering what oil/weight should I use. I want to go Synthetic. What is the best brand to use????? Thanks for your help in advance.
    If you want a pig, flip a jig!!!

3. Member
    I run Rotella T6 (blue jug) in my F250. Seems like I get a little better mileage if I use the T5 (10/30) though.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole
    ReLion Lithium Batteries

4. Member
    15/40 regular or 5/40 synthetic is what my 2015 uses. If I was using synthetic I would use a Rotella but since I use regular oil I buy Rotella, Delo, or Delvac, whichever is on sale.

5. Member
    Rotella T-6 is great.

6. Member
    Why don't you change your oil and go with dino universal/diesel oil for one more oil change?

I always want my rings to be fully seated prior to switching to synthetic oils. You may can stretch the oil change frequency somewhat using synthetics.

My PowerStroke uses 15 quarts, and I change my oil every 5000 miles. I find it easier to buy Motorcraft 5 quart bottles at Walmart so I can avoid having to buy 3 individual quarts and three 4 quart jugs most other oils come in. Individual quart bottles of synthetics can really get expensive. And I find the national auto parts chain stores to be very expensive on synthetic motor oils. It's almost enough to make you go on Amazon and have oil delivered to your front door.

I have a life time warranty on the power train for this truck. It is some kind of extended warranty the dealership purchases for all their vehicles. So for this warranty to be valid, I have to change the oil and all other recommended maint when it is due "within 1000 miles of due". So I wanted to get everyones opinion on the best oil out there then look at what the owners manual says to do. The recommended oil change for this truck is every 15K or 6 months, which ever comes first.

Every new truck I have purchased in the past, I changed the oil 1/3 faster than recommended on the first change only. Father recommended this years ago and I have always done it. Dont ask why he recommended it but "father knows best"!!!!

8. Member
    The definitive website for lubrication is BobIsTheOilGuy.com. They have a bunch of petroleum engineers that will sign in to answer questions on lubrication. And it's some really good fine readinig. They also have a marine lubrication section answering questions.

It's one thing if you have 5-6 quarts to change on a premature oil change frequency. But when you have to buy 15 quarts and an expensive filter, I tend to go 'by the book.

I also like to use an oil analysis from time to time, like Blackstock Laboratory. They can save you money if the engine's in great shape and oil change frequencies can be lengthened.

9. Member
    A friend , his dad use schaeffers brand oil and fuel additives and have had better than expected results they have sent samples in doing the full break down and at 9k miles on there cummins they come back super clean. I am still on factory oil at 6200 miles. I will be going this route as well on my cummins. Ps there fuel filters after running scheacers additives year round look new at 15k vs there old diesels 07's cummins looked like black tar goopy shit without year round additives.

So far this is what I have decided. I will be running synthetic on the next oil change, will make the first change at 10K which is a little faster than the 15K mileage for the oil change. Now I need to decide what weigh and brand to use. And to think making tournament decisions are hard.....This has been tough as well.

Good suggestion guys!!!! I appreciate everyone's input on this!!!

What does your owners manual recommend?
    Rotella is fine, but price the dealer as well. Often they can do an oil change for the same price as you have to pay just for the oil and filter.
    Scott

2011 Stratos 186XT
    Mercury Optimax 115
    Lowrance HDS10 x2, LSS1
    Minn Kota 24v 70lbs

12. Member
    Royal purple 15w-40 with duralec
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    I only use Rotella 15/40. Every 5000. I rotate the tires at the same rate also. For me it's easier to keep up with that way. Whenever oil change comes on I just clear it. I do the fuel filter every 15000.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DURASPANK View Post
    I only use Rotella 15/40. Every 5000. I rotate the tires at the same rate also. For me it's easier to keep up with that way. Whenever oil change comes on I just clear it. I do the fuel filter every 15000.
    I'm the same as you except I change my oil and all filters at 10,000 miles.

15. Member
    use cenex fuel and scheaffers additives, fuel filter look new at 15k

16. Member
    I would use the weight recommended in the owners manual. The oil weight is determined by the bearing clearancestors and temps. Tolerances have become smaller and you need thinner oil for a tighter engine. Synthetic oil has better flow characteristics at different temps and maintains better flow as it ages.

I should ad that oil warms up slower than the water temp. With that in mind a turbo may not get the proper lubrication until the oil comes up to operating temp. I would want an oil with the best flow characteristics across all temp ranges and that is synthetics.
    Last edited by Justfishing; 12-15-2016 at 09:57 PM.

17. Member
    Nicely put. I find my self as a true motor head but I did miss the turbos oil requirements. Good thing I putz till everything is warm. I did however laugh about the book and the suggested cool down times for the turbo.