Lost speed 2005 Nitro 901 CDX Dual Consol

Hey guys.
    I know this may be more of an engine question but i figured i had better post on both forums.

I recently had my 200 Optimax blow up. Had it rebuilt and now it has around 12 hours on her and is well broken in and runs great, however..

Before the rebuild, Empty with a half a tank of gas and just me I could get 69-70 MPH out of this guy, at 5700-5750 rpm prop shaft 3 3/4 below pad. 10 inch set back jakeplate, 25 Tempest

Now that it has been rebuilt, with around 10 gallons of fuel and just me , empty... I barely get 65 mph at 5400 rpm. Same Prop, jackplate, height... everything.

Any ideas?

Sometimes just before blowing you have extra power, maybe not quite broke in yet , but definitely expect to hear some concerning questions

3. Member
    The reason of failure was water in the fuel system.
    From the day i purchased the rig to the day it blew i put close to 80 hours on the engine.

The whole time it ran flawless.. til that day lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Sometimes just before blowing you have extra power, maybe not quite broke in yet , but definitely expect to hear some concerning questions

4. Member
    I would be curious to know any answers because when i bought my savage 884 the guy told me it ran close to 63-67 and it go a rebuild prior to me buying the boat and he didnt use the boat much after that... long story short im about 80 pounds lighter than he was and with 1/4 tank and decent load im only getting 58
    1997 Nitro 884 savage / 1997 Mariner 175 magnum II

5. Member
    Are you sure your throttle is adjusted properly and you are getting WOT? That would probably be the first thing to check since it was recently rebuilt.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

6. Member
    Well believe it or not people will say alot to sell something. Not saying this is your case. However, I ran my boat for 8 months at this speed myself and after rebuild its like I have a 190 hp Engine instead of a 200.

Just very unusual

Quote Originally Posted by kchanenberg View Post
    I would be curious to know any answers because when i bought my savage 884 the guy told me it ran close to 63-67 and it go a rebuild prior to me buying the boat and he didnt use the boat much after that... long story short im about 80 pounds lighter than he was and with 1/4 tank and decent load im only getting 58

7. Member
    Wow, that's a really fast 901 and great RPM range w/ a 25p tempest. At half tank riding solo I get 67.4 tops w/ a 25p tempest but only turn 5400, 62-65 w/ a 24p tempest turning 5600 same 10" setback plate. I do also have a 8' sportsman power pole on the back though. I haven't heard of any 901 owners seeing 69-70. It's been consistent, I bought the boat at 139 hours 3 seasons ago currently have around 350.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    Wow, that's a really fast 901 and great RPM range w/ a 25p tempest. At half tank riding solo I get 67.4 tops w/ a 25p tempest but only turn 5400, 62-65 w/ a 24p tempest turning 5600 same 10" setback plate. I do also have a 8' sportsman power pole on the back though. I haven't heard of any 901 owners seeing 69-70. It's been consistent, I bought the boat at 139 hours 3 seasons ago currently have around 350.
    Thats just a cranking battery in there as well. And no trolling motor

not 3 extra 67lb batteries plus whatever that 36v Motorguide weighs. I'd say atleast 45 lbs too

Make her empty and you will get in that range

Sure wish someone had an idea as to why its running slower lol

U done breaking in?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Maybe the rebuild isn't as good as the OEM version. If all other variables are equal then you aren't making as much HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilwhirlwind1987 View Post
    Thats just a cranking battery in there as well. And no trolling motor

not 3 extra 67lb batteries plus whatever that 36v Motorguide weighs. I'd say atleast 45 lbs too

Make her empty and you will get in that range

Sure wish someone had an idea as to why its running slower lol
    I think you just answered your own question in that reply. With the extra gas, batteries and trolling motor you just added about 400 lbs to the boat. 1 mph loss per 100 lbs is pretty normal. Also take into consideration that the weight of trolling motor on the front of the boat has more of an effect than added weight to the stern of the boat.

When you are saying empty does that mean you did not have 100 pounds of fishing tackle in the boat also? The only way to an accurate before and after speed would be to empty your boat to a similar weight before the motor blew up.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS