Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I have experience with the new 5.0 in both 3.55 and 3.31 and towing a 16' enclosed trailer weighing 5k with both. To be honest, if you were to blindfold me I couldn't tell a difference. If you lock out 6th gear they tow great.

2. Member
    I had a Ram 5.7 with 3.55 and 6 speed, it towed great. I have a Ram 5.7 with 3.21 and 8 speed, it also tows great.
    JR Hoops
    2015 Ranger Z520C 250ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasteria View Post
    If your not opposed to a Tundra, the 5.7 comes standard with a 4.30 rear end. :)
    He will give up about two MPG overall to the Ford Ecoboost or 5.0. I know because I have one. It's a towing beast PLUS it's simply a pleasure to drive unloaded.

If you want the Ford my suggestion is getting the lowest rear end ratio they offer. I've tried about all of them out there at one time or another and you may...MAY gain one or two MPG by going with those tall gears IF you do a bunch of interstate driving. If you do a bunch of around town or towing you may not like those tall gears. I really don't think the power plant makes that big of a difference. The big three offer that gearing to help meet EPA MPG standards.

Test drove all three motors this weekend...iWas very impressed with the Ecoboost 3.5 and over fit and feel. They had plenty of inventory in the 3:55... Might just have to pull the trigger after the Holidays.
    thanks for all the input!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12