Thread: Migration.....?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    T Dub

Migration.....?

Those with eyes toward the skies tell us what's happening out there. I can't make it again until this Saturday, but very optimistic with the cold front moving in.

Hunted deer in Iowa all week. Lots of snow geese heading south.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I had a ton of geese Tuesday morning at daylight migrating. The sky was full of them. They were extremely high so it took me a min to find them.

4. T Dub
    Someone working on the Tennessee River says he's seeing lots of ducks today. Hoping for a great weekend!

5. Member
    We have flyway here......lots of movers for sure.......TON of Canadians, few snow but not many seen here.

6. T Dub
    Wound up with 7 total today which is a pretty good day for us. 1 mallard, 1 gw teal, 3 bluegill, 2 ringneck. Saw lots of divers in big groups (25+). Several groups of big ducks, mostly gadwall. If the wind had been better we might have had a great day!

7. T Dub
    Hunted again today and killed 5. Still seeing several good groups. Might have had a better day if the wind hadn't been so calm.

8. Banned
    Hunted Ballard WMA Saturday and Sunday - refuge is holding about 36,000 ducks 6,500 specks.

Had ice on Saturday to deal with, saw lots of ducks but only killed 1 snow goose - total for the entire refuge for Sat was only 19 ducks, and that was with a total of 14 blinds being hunted.

Sunday all the ice was gone, killed only two ducks, saw the results for half of the blinds that day and the highest number was 8 killed from a blind closest to the river. Saw lots of ducks again, had several work but they just didn't want to finish, they acted like they had been in the area a while and skittish; other guys I talked to said the same thing.

Boatwright WMA was doing pretty good - they have been killing about 200 a day. They hunt about 20 to 25 spots a day.

Heard the best reports this weekend from New Madrid, they seem to always kill them though. That area along the river is just incredibly good. I will say they were a bit surprised that they didn't kill more than what they did though.

I think we got a push, but they just aren't down here yet, the bulk of them are hung up in the northern Missouri and central Illinois regions. We have another cold snap happening later this week, maybe it will be the one that pushes them down that last little bit. I look for next weekend to be a lot better.

I'm hoping that this cold spell pushes them down this weekend. I am off Mon and Tues and plan to go both days. Just went for my first time on the 5th, didn't get anything but hoping for early next week to be my first.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

10. T Dub
    Yesterday and today were probably the days to hunt around my neck of the woods, but I couldn't make it until tomorrow morning. Gonna be too warm and possibly raining, but hoping some birds are still around.

Y'all be safe. They are talking lightning and strong winds.

12. T Dub
    Killed 5 again today. Saw several good groups of divers and many groups of big ducks, but they weren't interested in working. Can't wait til next time!

13. Member
    Just got back from north Arkansas and 0 for 3 days hunting public land. Not many ducks flying.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

14. T Dub
    Saw maybe 15-20 ducks today and didn't kill a single one. Did have a group of 10 geese decoy and killed 6 of them (still no bands yet)

Was in Southeast Missouri yesterday and at daylight, the woodies were piling into our hole. We were shooting as fast as we could reload our guns at times. Lasted for about 15 minutes and then it just shut down. It was the most exciting 15 minutes of hunting I've had in many years, just wish it lasted longer. Probably heading back down on Tuesday hopefully the birds are still around.

16. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Was in Southeast Missouri yesterday and at daylight, the woodies were piling into our hole. We were shooting as fast as we could reload our guns at times. Lasted for about 15 minutes and then it just shut down. It was the most exciting 15 minutes of hunting I've had in many years, just wish it lasted longer. Probably heading back down on Tuesday hopefully the birds are still around.
    Love mornings like that!

Slow here right now!!
    JAM'D Outdoors-sponsored by PAPPAWDAD and MIMI!!

18. Banned
    Hunted SE MO last two days, birds are there but aren't moving during shooting hours unless there's some weather event to stir them (like heavy rain/wind/thunderstorm). If it's a sunny day with 5 mph wind or less, stay home, or at least that's what I've seen.

They are also getting a bit settled into the area and staying put, and now aware of what decoy spreads look like; getting them to finish is crazy hard right now. They don't like duck calls either now, better off putting the call in your pocket and leaving it there.

19. Member
    Off the hook here! Just the opposite here, call them hard till they're feet down. Tired of shooting green, heading out tomorrow to chase whitie, 2k dekes, flashers, rotaries, could be epic, or a complete bust.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    Tired of shooting green
    That's crazy talk, you feeling okay?!?!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast