04 Evinrude HO problems

My 225HO would cut out on me while running mid to upper range from time to time. I replaced filter, fuel lines and took the fuel tank out to make sure it was clean. Happens again the next time out, except this time it got worse and worse, then wouldn't even get on plane. The finally had buzzer going of and the hot light came on. It would start and idle fine, then run rough, then run smooth again. Any ideas? I know these motors go through plugs like crazy, if they fouled really bad could they cause this? Unfortunately I have no one in my area that works on evinrudes so I can't get the reading off the computer.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    When was the last time you replaced the water pump and replaced and indexed the plugs? If you swap the thermostats over to the ETEC T stats it will allow you to run the iridium plugs and help with plug life. It would also be a good idea to clean the exhaust pressure sensor that feeds the EMM.

3. Member
    It's been 2 years for the water pump, with only maybe 30 hrs on it. Plugs were replaced and indexed less than a year. Only 15 hrs on them. One thing I thought of is making sure the right plugs were put in. I'll also try cleaning the sensor and see if that helps.
    Thanks for your response, I'll give you an update.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

5. Member
    Thanks Champ

Soon as I can I'll give you a report. Since I have no evinrude dealer near me I'm going with a Mercury. So if anyone has interest in this motor I'll make them a good deal.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Good luck with your purchase I know there is a good dealer in the Denver area.

7. Member
    I would say your fuel pump is on it's way out. Mine did this earlier this year. Mine got bad enough that it would hardly run if the motor was trimmed up but when you put it down it would run. Not enough pressure to pump the fuel up hill.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

8. Member
    My '05 ETEC 200HO is doing the same thing. I kinda think it's a fuel issue also. Is there any way to test the fuel pump?

9. Member
    I made a test port to hook a gauge to, otherwise I believe you need a computer to hook it to see fuel pressure.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

10. Member
    How much

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper113 View Post
    How much
    Dan do you want to pay shipping from Colorado?

12. Member
    I've bought a new Mercury, I'd sell my evinrude for $2000, 04 225 HO. Maybe has 20 hrs on the lower unit.