Verado Supercharger Leak

Hello all,

I have a 2005 250 verado on a Triton tr21x. I got an alarm a couple weeks ago, smart craft said "low oil pressure". So I trailered and checked the oil level, assuming that could be a cause of the problem. To my surprise, the oil level wasn't even registering on the dipstick. I checked it back during the late summer and the oil level was slightly lower, but still at the bottom of the operating range so I topped it off and hadn't thought anymore about it since. (I made sure to let the motor cool down for an hour before checking it and trimmed it up to let the oil drain, then back down to settle before reading, to get an accurate level.) Went and bought a couple quarts of 25w-50 Verado oil...it ended up taking almost 3 whole quarts to get it back up to operating range! I had put maybe 15hrs on it since I last checked it so I knew something must be up to have lost this much oil. Especially since I haven't really heard of Verado's burning that much oil from my research. Scared me because I feared that damage was already done due to being that low on oil.

Upon further inspection I found that oil was leaking out of the supercharger air vent, and running down onto the gasket below it. Still, it didn't appear that 3 quarts had leaked out under the cowling, so possibly a combination of burning/leaking? I cleaned the oil off the supercharger exterior with degreaser and removed the air intake. No oil in there from what I could tell. Ran the boat again this weekend, got back to the house and checked the oil level, and it was already out of the operating region again. Sure enough, there was oil leaking out of the air vent and onto the outside of the supercharger again as well.

I found a service bulletin online for supercharger troubleshooting, and it looks like at this point from what I can tell, the only option to stop the leak would be to replace the entire supercharger, if it doesn't fix the leak itself as it should if it is operating properly. The motor has about 625 hrs. I have noticed no performance issues and have received no other alarms. The motor seems to be operating as it should otherwise. I have owned the boat for about 2 years now and have put about 100 hours on it myself with not a single issue. Previous owner took good care of it, as I have tried to as well, but he said he had already replaced the supercharger once. I just wanted to see if this is indeed a dire (and expensive) situation, or if I am just going to have to live with topping off the oil every time I use it, like an old truck, until I get a new boat sometime down the road. I have attached the link to the service bulletin below.

Just curious if anyone who has more experience with these motors and this situation than I do has any insight. Thanks in advance!

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/Me...%202009-16.pdf

To get accurate advice you need to post the serial number of your engine. Another thing I will add is I would not run that engine like that until it is fixed. Don will be able to give you the proper advice with a serial number

3. Member
    Will post the serial number ASAP! The boat is currently being stored about 30 mins away, so I will have to make a little trip to get the serial.

4. Member
    For Don:

2005 250 Verado
    Serial Number
    1B056609

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will need to replace the supercharger assembly in this case.

Recommend you consider a leakdown-test of the powerhead, before proceeding to confirm it's in good/viable condition.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Crap...i was afraid of that. Will definitely have a leakdown done thats the last thing I would want to happen is the powerhead to go after replacing the supercharger. I have found some used superchargers online that appear to be in good shape and will fit that motor for 750-1000. Would you recommend getting a reman from the dealer? Assuming a new one for that motor isn't even an option at this point.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd be careful about anything "used"- it will, after all, be right in the air induction system (with a nice, ready-path to the engine internals).

Replacement options include-

New:
    8M0103744

Reman:

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Awesome, thanks for all your help Don! Dropping it off monday to get a leak down and further investigation. Fingers crossed.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin56 View Post
    were you ever able to solve this problem? I also have a 2005 250 verado with around 145 hours on it. i havent pinpointed the supercharger as my problem, but i do have oil lall around the air intake that is coming out around the pee hole and reading this has me worried...the motor also seems to be making a very high pitch noise while running that it didnt do previous to finding this oil leaking issue...

any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    If you would, take a moment and review the Announcements at the top of the Forum. If you will open a separate thread for your engine (and provide the Required Info), several of us are happy to assist.