Anyone bass fish out of a 619/620? Need Help

Over the last year I have been going back and forth with the idea of getting a 619 or 620. I have always had bass boats and currently have a Bass Cat. I got 3 boys now who are all under 5 and the bass boat just isn't cutting it. I was close to pulling the trigger last year and things got busy. I still fish competitively and for the most part do my fishing offshore and I don't care for speed anymore. Ive talked to a number of guys who have made the switch in similar instances and they have all said that they wish they would have done it sooner. From anyone else's experience, is there anything I would regret?

Regarding motor choices, I am thinking it will be the Verado Pro or G2. I have always had opti's and wouldn't mind having one but for this application and resale, I think the Vrod or G2 would be a better fit.

If I could afford it, I'd switch from bass boat to multi-species.
    I like the large, high deck/low gunnel of my bass boat, but have fished in 618s, 619s, 1860s, as well as Tuffys, Crestliners and Lunds with high gunwales. The higher gunwales made fishing "different", especially when landing fish, or while flipping/pitching (which I don't do very often). Easy to get used to, IMHO.

Have you also looked at the new 1880MS, or even 2080 Angler? The 1880MS with the flip-up jump seats would make a really good multi-purpose compromise boat for a larger family.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    619/620 are terrific hulls for running rough water, the high sides are more of a blessing than a curse unless you often fish tight in the brush. With small children, safety has to be paramount, and the high sides are worth their weight in gold for keeping kids (and the tackle they knock into) inside the boat. The thing I like least about the multi-species platform for largemouth fishing is the front deck, which is both narrower and shorter than my Z520c front deck. However, although I've ridden dozens of times in my buddy's 620, I've never had the opportunity to really accustom myself to that front deck, which I'm sure I could do over time. The ability to go through any kind of water with ease and grace makes you smile every time you launch a 619/620. Verado is a superb engine; G2 does all the same things plus several more, being a much newer and more advanced design.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    After owning bass boats for years, I tried the walleye boat thing, and after 3 seasons I sold it and went back to a bass boat. The multi-species/walleye boat was nice for peace of mind with the little one on board, but it was a pain to fish out of. Skipping docks, pitching cover, swinging fish, jerkbaits, sweep sets with a Carolina rig, and even laying rods on the deck were all much harder to do. Then you add in the wind factor and with the higher gunwales it's like a sail. I will say that a lot of guys love the 600 series, especially the ones who fish mille lacs frequently. I guess I'd be looking at to how often your kids are fishing with you. If you do venture into the walleye boat world, and you wish to go back to a bass boat, selling it in Minnesota will be a breeze.

5. Member
    I switched to 600 series few years back and best choice I have ever made.. First one was a 618 that I got a smoking deal on and tried it out for a year.. Next year (Spring 2015) I picked up the 2004 621 I am currently running and absolutely love it.. However I do fish Lake Erie 99% of the time and plenty of that is also in the harbors or close to shore chasing largies.. It does take some getting use to but just like everything does.. I will say that I have put my loaded 04 up for sale and looking at a newer 15/16 621 for next year.. I have very mixed emotions on going newer because I will say the newer hulls vs the older ones are much larger.. With my current rig I can put it almost anywhere shallow water wise a bass boat can go and the overall height off the water is not to bad.. With the new ones they do draft a lot more water and have higher sides for catching more wind and possibly pushing you around more..

The 1880 and 2080 are fantastic rigs and more affordable than the 600 series.. However they do not have the storage the 600's do and a big thing for me is they do not offer a rear deck extension due to the way they are designed in the rear.. However the flip side without the rear storage boxes on each side is the cockpit area is HUGE..

I went to a 620 also - #1 reason was grandkids - not easy fishing & riding around with 1-3 grandkids and a SIL or 2 in a bass boat , #2 the wife is happy now also loves all the extra room in the back, I use the rear deck extension always unless if I`m out trolling for the day. I dont tournament fish this is a family boat for all of us to enjoy . What ever choice you make enjoy it there`s no perfect boat for every outing on the water, Weather or the # of people all make every outing different
    Last edited by Dave 620VS; 12-10-2016 at 11:29 AM.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the comments and Im pretty sure I have made up my mind that this is the direction I am going to go. Now I am stuck deciding on 619 vs 620 and VRod vs G2. I've got my colors pretty much decided on, silver fox, carbon accents with white pins.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Carbon/white/black G2 would look great on that rig.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    Have you looked at a bay boat. Ranger Bahia is awesome. It has a larger front deck and plenty of room for kids to roam around in. I bass fish out of mine. Great for trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by waknbass View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and Im pretty sure I have made up my mind that this is the direction I am going to go. Now I am stuck deciding on 619 vs 620 and VRod vs G2. I've got my colors pretty much decided on, silver fox, carbon accents with white pins.
    If money isn't a concern, 620 and Verado gets my vote. The 620 will ride better than the 619.

I'm on my second 620 and it's honestly the best boat I've had for all the fishing I do from bass, walleye, and trolling the Great Lakes.

12. Banned
    If I did a lot of Great Lakes fishing/big water fishing for smallmouth bass the 600 series would be the best choice. However, if one targets smaller water, shallower water and flip/ pitch I could see these larger boats getting annoying. All into what style of fishing you do. Me personally I couldn't get into Mandy of the lakes I like to fish with a 619 for example, where my z118 is perfect, mind you I would probably have an issue with a 519.

waknbass - I have 3 kids as well, and am in the same predicament. I think I am going to have to stray away from the bass boat platform and go to the 619/620, even though the fishing will be a little different. I will definitely be doing the G2 though, after being around a buddy who has the motor, seeing the power and efficiency, that is my choice.

14. Member
    With the 10yr warranty offering they are pushing now I would definitely get the G2.

Where were you thinking of purchasing your boat from?
    My 2013 620 is a great boat. The newer hull sits a little high out of the water and on the trailer. We compared boats one night after league fishing.
    Dont count out Yamaha they are great motors but not as fast as the merc which is a touch faster but only a couple mph
    http://www.scvwl.com
    2013 Ranger 620VS Yamaha 250 and Yamaha 9.9 kicker

Quote Originally Posted by waknbass View Post
    With the 10yr warranty offering they are pushing now I would definitely get the G2.

YES!

17. Member
    Another good option in this area is a 2050 angler. Give you a larger boat at a lower price point over a 620. Not sure how it would compare in price to a 619.