Mercury 200 Carb - No Spark on any cylinder

Ok guys, lurked for a while here but now I need some help..
    Motor is a Mercury 200XL carburated, yr 2005 serial 1B043838

Motor will not fire, cranks over fine. Verified no spark at any cylinder.

Kill switch has been tested connected, disconnected, bypassed etc all checked out ok

Suspected the stator, checked resistance and it was not in spec as per the manual so ordered a new one together with new trigger assy. Once removed found a damaged/burnt pole on one of the primary coils. Cranked over still no spark on any cylinder. Flywheel does not appear to have damage to the magnets.

Futher testing to the grounds, stator and CDMs (coils) lead me to suspect the Ignition Control Module, as per the manual. Installed a new module and still have no spark on any plug....CDM grounds are good as is ground to the ICM.

Tested the CDMs to manual spec and even got a reference from a new out the box CDM from the dealer, found two failed test (bottom cylinder of each bank so cyls 5 & 6). Moved bad CDMs all to one bank and tried again, still no spark on any plug. Using a spark test tool to verify all coils at once. grounded with the clamp and the screw ring.

Ive tried cranking with the kill switch connected, disconnected, shorted, one bank of CDMs unplugged and plugged in, stator leads to the rectifiers unplugged, swapped and plugged in, harness disconnected and jumping the starter solenoid ....still no spark.

I have a concern with the new stator in that the 3 primary coils dont have an exposed pole they are totally covered with grey insulating epoxy unlike any the old one and indeed any stator Ive seen before so I went back to my dealer who checked with Mercury Technical and they said its fine like that...can the flywheel generate a pulse through that covering ?

Basically I'm running out of ideas here, is there any help out there?

Regards
    Paul

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perform a resistance test and a DVA output test on the new stator.

"New" does not necessarily equal "good"... always best to be sure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor