Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    They claim the diesel gets the same mph as Tacoma's V6
    So all of 19 or 20mpg then?

2. Member
    I'd be willing to bet all the negative posts about half ton diesels and the hard a$$es who want to talk about how you shouldn't care about fuel mileage with a 4x4 half ton are guys who want to make themselves feel better about averaging 14-15 mpg in their truck. I just hit 5k miles in my new Ram ecodiesel and I sure like seeing 24-25 combined mpg a lot better than the true mileage the gassers get. I also think there's some exaggeration about the price difference between the half ton diesels currently on the market and the gas engines. The sticker might say its a $4k upgrade, but if you take your time and find the right deal, you're never going to pay that. I was wholly unimpressed with the comparable crew max tundra I drove, and I ended up buying my ecodiesel even cheaper. (cue the attacks on Ram fit and finish, blah blah blah). I haven't driven the Nissan, but you can bet they won't be the last half ton diesel to hit the market in the next couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman1282 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet all the negative posts about half ton diesels and the hard a$$es who want to talk about how you shouldn't care about fuel mileage with a 4x4 half ton are guys who want to make themselves feel better about averaging 14-15 mpg in their truck. I just hit 5k miles in my new Ram ecodiesel and I sure like seeing 24-25 combined mpg a lot better than the true mileage the gassers get. I also think there's some exaggeration about the price difference between the half ton diesels currently on the market and the gas engines. The sticker might say its a $4k upgrade, but if you take your time and find the right deal, you're never going to pay that. I was wholly unimpressed with the comparable crew max tundra I drove, and I ended up buying my ecodiesel even cheaper. (cue the attacks on Ram fit and finish, blah blah blah). I haven't driven the Nissan, but you can bet they won't be the last half ton diesel to hit the market in the next couple years.
    Well next up is the F150 diesel. I've seen it and touched it personally.

To back up what you say. I agree there are deals out there on trucks. The Ram EcoDiesel is about $50k. I love it and that's probably my next truck. Check out Davesmith.Com for deals. He's got great deals.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

If I buy another 1/2 ton truck it will be a Tundra. We've got a 2010 Sequoia that has been a great vehicle with no problems at all. It has 120,000 on the 5.7 and hasn't lost a single step. That engine is a beast and the vehicle itself is overbuilt for durability. I have towed several boats behind it and you don't even know it is there. As far as fuel mileage, when my wife drives it, which she mostly does, we get 19 mpg but when I get behind the wheel with my heavy foot, we usually see 16.5 to 17 mpg.

About the only thing I would like to see changed on the Tundra is to put a long bed on the Crewmax. I mean come on, you get a beautiful well built truck and then all they give you is bed big enough to haul around a 25 gallon wash tub! Put an 8 ft bed on it or at least have it as an option.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigflipr76 View Post
    If I buy another 1/2 ton truck it will be a Tundra. We've got a 2010 Sequoia that has been a great vehicle with no problems at all. It has 120,000 on the 5.7 and hasn't lost a single step. That engine is a beast and the vehicle itself is overbuilt for durability. I have towed several boats behind it and you don't even know it is there. As far as fuel mileage, when my wife drives it, which she mostly does, we get 19 mpg but when I get behind the wheel with my heavy foot, we usually see 16.5 to 17 mpg.

About the only thing I would like to see changed on the Tundra is to put a long bed on the Crewmax. I mean come on, you get a beautiful well built truck and then all they give you is bed big enough to haul around a 25 gallon wash tub! Put an 8 ft bed on it or at least have it as an option.
    That thing would be a MONSTER with a long bed on a crew max. I had high expectations for the Tundra but walked away immediately knowing there were better options out there. The Limited I drove was very average and mundane on the finishes compared to other trim levels. I guess we are getting away from the OP. Yes, I agree the engine is a tank and damn near bulletproof.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Well next up is the F150 diesel. I've seen it and touched it personally.

To back up what you say. I agree there are deals out there on trucks. The Ram EcoDiesel is about $50k. I love it and that's probably my next truck. Check out Davesmith.Com for deals. He's got great deals.
    Looking forward to seeing some stats on the Ford F-150 Deez. I think Ford is using the Land Rover diesel so numbers might be similar to the Ram Ecodiesel. Competition is a good thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123