Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2011 Z-8 Trolling Motor Pedal Tray and Max Replacement Carpet Weight

Hello:

I'm getting ready to have new carpet installed in my 2011 Nitro Z-8. Love the boat but have hated the cheap carpet from day 1. So now trying to decide how heavy of carpet to put in. It came original with 16oz. Would like to go as heavy as possible but know there are concerns with the hatch lids being too tight.
    So wondering if anyone has had their carpet replaced with 24 oz? Or how heavy can I go.

The second issue is I am looking at upgrading to the Minn Kota Ultrex trolling motor.
    The foot pedal on those is 9 inches wide. My trolling motor pedal tray is only 8 inches wide so it would need to be replaced.
    My question is are there any supports under the deck that would prevent me from having this done.

My boat is in storage at Ky Lake 3 hours drive so difficult for me to take the depth finder plate off to check.
    I called tracker and they are supposed to send me a drawing if available to show me the deck support structure.

2. Member
    Enduro,

I also have a 2011 Z8 and I am pretty sure the space/void below the deck/in-front of the center locker is open - the walls of the Starboard/Port rod lockers act as supports. I have actually had a few items slide up and fall in that void since the ends of the lockers are open (at least on my boat) at the bow (a spot light that got pushed forward and around the locker wall, and rod sleeve or two that snaked through the end of the rod locker and down) and had to claw them out. I reached my arm up around the wall of the locker and took a picture with my phone and it looked pretty open (except for my spotlight/rod sleeves resting against the backside of the front locker). If I can find the pic I will post it. FYI - I used a standard coat hanger straightened out as a DIY hook for a blind claw game to retrieve items - reaching up around the bow corner of the starboard locker.

I will be very curious about the Ultrex install/operation.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I have had my arm up in there before bolting down my foot pedal years ago but I did not take note of the bracing.

Buy yeah I'm pretty excited about the Ultrex capabilities. My wife fishes with me a lot and she won't tie her own knots or run the trolling motor. So if she breaks off or if I want to change baits or Net a fish then we drift off the spot. So the spot lock feature will help me out a lot through the course if a season.

In dropped a wrench in that void, fml. ( I tapped a big magnet to a rope and cast it in till I got it.) Anyways there is no supports in there and the bow end of the rod lockers aren't even attached at the bottom. Needless to say the bow panel must come off and you can double check then. My 2015 z8 has a fortrex pedal in it already and supposedly the ultrex pedal is the same size?

5. Member
    The pedal may be the same by not the base. The base of the Ultrex is supposed to be 9" wide and looks to be rectangular. My fortrex pedal fits snug at the heel of my tray and is only 7" wide there. 8" in middle.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=747896&page=5
    Last edited by Enduro67; 12-05-2016 at 07:08 PM.

6. Member
    Enduro -

SpotLock/Anchor for my use is the greatest feature of GPS based TMs - after 2 seasons with an Xi5 there is no way I could go back to a NON-GPS based TM (Cable or Electric)...fishing with my 75 year old parents or my 11 year old - netting fish, re-tieing, taking pictures, in wind/waves - being able to anchor is HUGE. Not to mention fishing solo and picking an off-shore spot apart, retie, have a sandwich, fish from anywhere in the boat, switch baits/rods, all while never moving. Anchor functionality is huge.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

7. Member
    Just received notice that the Ultrex is ready for pickup at Cabelas. Ready to get this project started.

Sweet let us know

9. Member
    Please let us know how this went.

10. Member
    Project is 90% complete. Just have to carpet the front deck and cockpit. I will post photos of the tray for those interested.
    Last edited by Enduro67; 03-31-2017 at 09:36 AM.

11. Member
    Original Fortrex pedal with bow console pulled back. The bow console slips down into the pedal tray. There is a lip behind the console that it screws into.
    I wanted to leave this structure in tact.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    After alot of searching for custom trolling pedal trays I came across FishOn Fabrications. They were very quick to reply to my emails and I sent him a detailed sketch of what I wanted. He gave me a 10 day lead time and I got the tray very quickly. Cost was on par most standard aftermarket trays. He does powdercoat as well but not necessary for this one. I had him leave the front tongue of the tray unwelded in case it needed to be bent to fit in the bow cutout.

13. Member
    Here are the pictures of the cutout and the tray in place.
    I had the tray stepped down for lower pedal height.
    Will be adding a few more drain hole as well.
    Will post more pictures after carpet is installed.

14. Member
    arjone01 of Hopkinsville, Ky is doing the carpet install and modifications for me.
    Went with Syntec/Basscat/Ranger 24 oz carpet in Ash (Dark Charcoal Gray)

Update3/31: Have to get 8ft wide carpet from Ranger. Basscat only available in 6ft widths.
    Last edited by Enduro67; 03-31-2017 at 09:38 AM.

15. Member
    I can tell you you will like that carpet. I own a Bass Cat and the carpet is the best there is. And it will look new for years. Also that same carpet makes absolutely superb trailer bunk carpet.

16. Member

very nice. id let you do this to my z8 it looks so good

18. Member
    Very nice job with the carpet and TM install. Might want to check this post over in Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motor forum concerning a problem with the cable on Ultrex if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=784832
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

19. Member
    Wow thats some amazing work!

did the thickness of the carpet effect the lids at all?
    Last edited by hoomsie; 02-16-2017 at 04:55 AM.

I'm curious what the first pic of what look like an actuator is. And did u use it on your boat?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast