Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar

Considering a SWC Lever Gun for Ohio Deer

I'm looking at either the Henry Big Boy Steel or Marlin 1894 in 44 mag.

Anyone have experience with either/both of these?

Also, what ammo do you use in yours for deer? Brand/caliber?

2. Member
    I bought my dad the puma 44 mag awesome gun. I have a 35 rem Marlin micro groove they make some pistol caliber too I believe. Honestly its the most accurate gun I own.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Can't comment on rifle brands, but have had good success with the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Just wondering, have you looked at a Savage Model 99 if you want a lever gun for deer. Some consider it the best lever gun ever made and has a huge following but yet many never heard of it.

5. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Cant help you with either gun but good luck with your purchase. I have several lever guns and they are a blast!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

6. Member
    I won a Henry lever .45-70 at a raffle couple months back - bought the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo for it after some serious investigation. BUT - with that being said, I still have yet to fire this gun.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

7. Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCASTER! View Post
    I won a Henry lever .45-70 at a raffle couple months back - bought the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo for it after some serious investigation. BUT - with that being said, I still have yet to fire this gun.
    Scott, do you plan to hunt with it? I looked at a Henry 45/70 and the ammo was HUGE.....I want a SWC for deer here in SW Ohio, but the 45/70 seems like too much gun for OH whitetail

8. Member
    Most of th ammunition for the 45/70 is pretty mild. I can assure you it will kill cleanly and will destroy less meat than most bottleneck cartridges. Those big heavy lead bullets with a large meplat moving at a modest velocity work magic.

9. Member
    I had planned on hunting with it.....just haven't yet. Had a little falling out with the guys I used to hunt with several years ago.....so lost the spot I grew up hunting at, so I haven't hunted for a few years now.

Actually this weekend was tossing around the idea of selling it - or trading it for a handgun. I haven't decided yet.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

10. Member
    I know I posted earlier about it but get the 35 rem with 200 grain round nose. It is absolutely the most accurate gun I own anything I put the cross hairs on is bmdead 25-150 yards. I got a cheap Barska 2-7x40 on it to prevent me from over shooting it. Works
    Awesome
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

11. Member
    35 is not legal in Ohio. Straight wall pistol calibers including 45/70.

12. Member
    I have the Henry in Golden boy and absolutely love it, debating taking it to Texas again for hogs over next week. I was shooting my buddies 45/70 and it surely had more power but as stated above would do a clean job of harvesting a Midwest whitetail.

Between the two of them I would lean heavily towards the 45/70. I have seen deer both run 50 yards or go 300 yards with a 44 mag rifle double lung shots depending on if it hit a rib I'm guessing because the one that went farther didn't hit bone and bullet passed right on through. This was using lever evolutions from Hornady.

13. Member
    I got my son a CVA hunter in 44 mag, shoots very well at 100yds. Can't wait to see how it performs on deer.

I'm wanting the Henry 45/70. Alabama deer aren't really that big but I know it kills clean and in the swamp we hunt in some thick stuff. A slow moving big chuck of lead works great.

15. Member

Like this? LOL!.....it's the one I won, that I haven't even shot yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

16. Member
    The 450 bushmaster looks like an awesome gun for ohio. Its straight case, but its not designated on the state approved list.im not sure but i would think it would be ok.you could go with it in an ar platform or bolt or mm makes an encore barrel in it.