A little bit of water in basement

From previous posts, I am looking at finishing my basement over the winter. Well recently on two occasions with a really wind driven heavy rain there was a small puddle (approximately 1/2-1 gal) of water that was seeping from the base of a wall along the floor. It is really at the edge of the floor. I am going to check to see if the downspots are pushing the water away and see if there is anything obvious with the exterior landscaping.

If all looks normal, would you put a sump pump in? What are some other options?

2. Member
    Are the basement walls poured concrete or block? Different treatments for both are available...check your existing grade vs elevation of the slab in the basement and wood walls vs concrete walls vs brick or stone veneers. In most cases, a brick or stone veneer has been applied over a wood stud and wood sheathed wall where the grade is above this outside...without proper info from you it is difficult to help on this...then we can discuss options...

3. Member
    The walls are block and the previous owner painted the inside. There is no bubbling or any signs of water trying to get through other than at the base. I looked outside and the area adjacent to the water intrusion is a brick walkway which runs the length of the house. In the area that the water is entering there is a slight low spot (right next to the AC unit). Looking at the far corner of the house the downspout comes down to an extender but I don't think it brings the water far enough away from the house and the water ends up on the walkway. This is water from half of the roof and probably a considerable amount.

I will correct the water distribution but am wondering if additional work is necessary on the walkway or if I should install a sump pump in the basement, prior to finishing the basement.

4. Member
    Edziu, The water seems to be seeping from the cold joint of the bottom course of the block and the slab...Is the adjacent sidewalk area above this grade or below? If it is above it and you have the ability to lower it, this should solve the problem along with the redirection of the watershed. I am not sure if the walkway is attached to the exterior of the house or whether it is adjacent. If it is attached...that's definitely the problem! Mortar/grout between the bricks is not waterproof..it is porous and absorbs water...when the water has no place else to go it seeks the point of least resistance and there you have it...a leak in your basement. Lowering the grade on the exterior if possible will most definitely be more cost efficient than a drain and pump. If you have no choice in lowering the exterior grade, then it sounds to me like you will need to have the slab cut on the interior common with the leaking wall, a trench made to contain the water and a pump installed in line to take the water away as the trench fills. If you are careful in who you chose to do this work, once it is all finished, you will never know that the slab was cut and trenched...all you will need to provide is an electrical circuit for the pump and a place to hide the pump with access for service if the need arises. In other words, after it all gets installed the trench in the slab will not remain visible. I have carried out this method for several clients in the same boat as you are. It is somewhat costly, but in a lot of cases, it is simply the only remedy. We are located in N.E. Georgia and hold a state license...and specialize in remodeling. I hope that this information helps you!

5. Member
    Thanks edw, The walkway is approx 5 ft above the floor of the basement and abuts the foundation of the house. There is no way to lower the grade. This is also a waterfront house and I am assuming the water table is fairly high.

I was thinking that I could install a sump in the general area that the water is coming in without the need for a trench but you would know better than I.

Also currently there is a floor drain in the middle of the floor and it leads to a old well or cesspool????? on the other side of the basement. When I run water down the basement sink drain you can hear it fall into the well. Could/should trench drains be tied into this floor drain to have it run into the old well?

Thanks again for all of your help, I will look for processionals in my area to give me advice.

Regards

Ed