Question How to clean wax from oak hardwood floor.

I have what I believe is a Bruce hardware floor, it is oak of varying widths with plugs, put down in the early 80's. It has only been waxed over the years. My question is I would like to remove the wax and polyurethane the floor. Any suggestions on a cleaner to remove the wax would be greatly appreciated.

Ammonia and Dawn dish detergent.

Don't be Dull, Let Your Boat Shine with Pro-Tec WWW.PROTECPRODUCTS.COM

3. Member
    Hardwood floors are one of the easiest flooring types to keep clean. Unlike carpeting, hardwood floors require minimum maintenance and can last for many years. Clean hardwood floors that run throughout a house can make the house look both beautiful and spacious. Maintenance methods to clean hardwood floors should not differ among types, but some finishes may require extra care when removing stains.
    The quickest and most effective way to clean hardwood floors is with a damp mop. Before mopping, make sure that you have removed all surface dust from the floor. This can be done with a soft broom or lightweight vacuum cleaner. Then, simply mop, rinse and repeat. It is important to remove grit and dirt from hardwood floors. Dirt and grit are the biggest enemies when it comes to scratching or scouring the floor finish.
    There are many hardwood floor cleaners available, but a neutral cleanser (i.e., neither too low or too high a pH level) and water will do the job just as effectively. The hardwood floor must be properly sealed before any mopping. If there are worn patches, do not use water, as the liquid can penetrate the wood and cause warping.
    Most hardwood floors are now finished using a surface finish called polyurethane. These floors look glossy and shiny. Polyurethane looks like a plastic coating over the wood and is extremely hard wearing. Another finish, called penetrating seals, consists of wax or oil finishes that penetrate the wood and protect from within.

4. Member
    I use "basic coatings" dustless system. Rent a 175 floor scrubber from your local rental place and a red pad. I own a flooring company and do a few a year. Short of a complete sanding it is the best way to go.

5. Member
    I use "basic coatings" dustless system. Rent a 175 floor scrubber from your local rental place and a red pad. I own a flooring company and do a few a year. Short of a complete sanding it is the best way to go. Acheter has very good advice on cleaning your hardwood flooring. And never use a steam mop, it forces liquid into any spot that isn't sealed.