Line Age and When to Throw it Away

I am talking about new unused line still on a spool. It has been kept in air conditioning and in the dark. I have some mono and braid and was just wondering the opinions out there. The braid is Power Pro and the mono is P-Line CXX.
    I got the Power Pro at a very very good deal.....

I know that some line at some stores probably does not turn over very fast and the line sitting on the shelf could easily be a year or two old......depending upon brand and popularity and such...

I am just looking for some opinions..... New line, never used, never in heat or sunlight ----- when would you toss it??
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Member
    I have used line that was ten years old. It is all about how it is stored. In a closet in the house? It will last a long time. I remember my dad storing line in the refrigerator in the garage but that was probably overkill.

3. Member
    Use it.I have some Bass Pro Line and Stren I purchased on large spools back in the early 90's.Never had a problem.I hear they can put you in jail(Florida & Arkansas)if you throw this line away so if you decide to,let me know and I will pm my address and you can send it to me.I will pay shipping.I am only kidding about putting you in jail.Thanks,good luck and good fishing
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

The braid will last for a really long time. The mono should be fine stored in ac and darkness.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

The braid should last just about forever. The survivors of the zombie apocalypse will be able to use your braid. The mono is another story. When mono goes bad it gets chalky. Copolymers tend to last a whole lot longer than mono. I have some Izorline Platinum that is 6 years old. I used some 6 pound test in Canada this year and landed a 14 pound like on it. I keep my line in a box the basement on my tackle shelves.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I always test my line. I tie a half hitch with a loop, then tug on it pretty good. If it breaks i strip the line a little and try again. If breaks again time to replace.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've got a three reels with line from a bulk spool of 12 lb CXX that I bought 3 years ago. There's still a couple more reels worth left on the spool and it's still fine. I test my line like BMCD does a couple times a year and I keep my lines stored in the basement.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    If it starts to break it's too late you should have changed it. That said, I have some Berkley TriMax 20 pound on a 1500 yard spool that must be 10 years old and it's great. All line weakens when you repeatedly cast it, near the lure, so you have to retie, even if you don't catch anything with it, especially light lines like 4 or 6 pound test.