Thread: 4 wheel drive

4 wheel drive

I have a 2002 Ford 150 4wheel drive. Living in Iowa the 4 wheel drive comes in handy on occasion. We had our first snow today and of course my truck won't go into 4 wheel drive. There is an indicator on the dash showing 2 and 4 wheel drive. Doesn't come on. Am I looking at a switch problem or a motor problem that puts the transmission from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive? thanks JAC

not familiar with ford, could be simple as need new vacuum hose?

4. Member
    Since your dash indicator light is not coming on, I would say it's the actuator down at the transfer case. Lightly tap on the body of the actuator with the handle of a screwdriver. Don't beat the snot out of it - just tap it. Over the course of the year, if you're not engaging the 4WD system periodically, a bit of rust can form and prevent it from working.

Vacuum only locks the hubs (my truck also has manual locking hubs as backup), but the dash light actuation is done at the transfer case actuator.
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

5. Member
    Do you mean the transfer case at the rear axle, or the one up front behind the transmission case?

6. Member
    Right behind the transmission case. The actuator I'm referring to should be located between the transmission and transfer case. Thats where it is on my 250; yours should be similar. Right below the transmission extension housing.
    I took a picture of mine but its too big to upload and i can't modify it on my dumbphone.

i'm not saying this is the issue or solution, but its a common problem and the first place I'd look.
    2005 F250 Lariat 4x4 6.0
    2004 Ranger 185VX
    175 Merc Opti

1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150