Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Turkey loads 3 or 3.5"?

Which do you prefer (12 gauge)?

Will a 3.5" offer a significant increase in down range knockdown power?

Or will a 3" #4 shot true "Turkey" load 1.75 oz. shell have plenty of power to get the job done, even out to 50 yards?

My 3" Gray box Winchester in #4 is all I need. Farthest kill with said load 74yds.

3 1/2 4 or 5 shot works real well. The long beards shoot real good out of my gun. I bought some shells on line from LG outdoors that were about 7 bucks a shell that really performed well. I shoot a xx super full choke from a 870 supermag. I am a firm believer that each gun will shoot a little different even with the same load and choke. Do your homework and buy several different loads and shoot them at 50, then 60, then 70 yards and see which ones perform the best. Nothing like having a big Tom hang up at 60 yards and you have a 50 yard load in your gun.

Didn't really answer your question, but will try with this. My buddy shoots a 3 inch shell and can kill birds out to 60 yards. I shoot a 3 1/2 and kill out to 72 yards. Do yourself a favor and shoot several different shells. So my answer is I don't think their is one. Which ever one shoots the best out of your gun.

3 1/2" because they don't make 4" LOL Jokes Ive shot both 3" #4 will do the trick.

6. Member
    Sounds like I need to go ahead and order both 3 & 3.5's. Placing an ammo order, got my kid a new Turkey gun for Christmas, ordering some targets and ammo to pattern with, thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Sounds like I need to go ahead and order both 3 & 3.5's. Placing an ammo order, got my kid a new Turkey gun for Christmas, ordering some targets and ammo to pattern with, thanks for the tips.
    Check out LG outdoors before buying. They usually have some pretty good deals. Have fun with those 3 1/2's lol.

8. Member
    Ended up ordering from Cheaper than Dirt, needed a few other gun related items, but ended up getting some Fiocchi Golden Turkey 3.5" #4 Nickel plated lead shot, 2 3/8 oz., 1210 FPS for $12.62 - 10 round box. And also some Fiocchi golden turkey 3" #4 shot, ironically the 3" load is listed at 1325 FPS.

Have always liked Fiocchi Handgun ammo, hopefully their shot shells are very good too. Am currently looking at the LG outdoors website too, never heard of them but their website looks like they carry a lot of great gear, thanks for the tip.

Absolutely. Have fun with it. I had a blast doing it. No pun intended.

10. Member
    Kill them at 25 or 30 yards like turkeys are supposed to be shot. That's what it is all about...

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    Kill them at 25 or 30 yards like turkeys are supposed to be shot. That's what it is all about...
    I do but it's nice if they hang up to drop them at 70.

12. Banned
    My son kills them every year with a 3" 20ga. Killed one dead at 53yds last year. Uninterested in 3.5" 12ga for anything.

13. Member
    I don't know if shooting them at that distance is what it's all about. But to each his own. I use a 3.5 inch and limit my shots 30 yds.

I bought into the 3.5" shells years ago and shot a bunch of different loads and settled on an all around best shooter for my gun/choke combo. I then bought a whole bunch of said federal #5 2 1/4 Oz loads and have killed birds from a few feet to 70 yards. I literally shoot this gun like twice a year, if I ever run out I will prob drop back to 3" loads just because of the jump and kick that stinking pump Moss erg has with the 3.5" loads. I've came up with a bloody nose more than once and my buddy shot it prone and broke his collarbone.... sure it'll smoke them way out there but I'm at a point where I'm willing to kill a few less birds and not dread shooting the gun

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    I bought into the 3.5" shells years ago and shot a bunch of different loads and settled on an all around best shooter for my gun/choke combo. I then bought a whole bunch of said federal #5 2 1/4 Oz loads and have killed birds from a few feet to 70 yards. I literally shoot this gun like twice a year, if I ever run out I will prob drop back to 3" loads just because of the jump and kick that stinking pump Moss erg has with the 3.5" loads. I've came up with a bloody nose more than once and my buddy shot it prone and broke his collarbone.... sure it'll smoke them way out there but I'm at a point where I'm willing to kill a few less birds and not dread shooting the gun
    Any turkey load is not going to be pleasant to shoot unless there is a longbead in front of you. I have a 3.5" Super X2 turkey gun that patterns well, but I still pack a 870 special field with a 21" barrel a lot because it is so handy. The special field is really a quail gun and really doesn't have a soft recoil pad. It is terrible to shoot, but as long as I am shooting at feathers instead of paper it is ok.

A Caldwell lead sled makes it much nicer to pattern a turkey gun. Most shotguns do not have a good enough trigger to shoot good groups anyway and then throw in the little flinch most folks get after a few rounds.

16. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    THIS!! Why would anyone ever shoot at an bird or animal at 70+ yards with a shotgun shell? Thats about as silly as someone saying they constantly shoot and kill ducks at 70+ yards.....blah!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    My son kills them every year with a 3" 20ga. Killed one dead at 53yds last year. Uninterested in 3.5" 12ga for anything.
    Those 20's are tight. Know several people that shoot a single shot 20 and do very well at long distances.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    Those 20's are tight. Know several people that shoot a single shot 20 and do very well at long distances.
    With the right load they are deadly! I believe my son has a $20 titewad choke or some other walmart find. It smokes turkeys!

Doesn't do well with the federals though, i believe he uses mag blend.

19. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I shoot 12 Ga 3" #6 2oz Hevi 13 it's devastating on a bird and patterns very well in my customized Remington 870 21" 3" polished barrel(what a difference!), primos jelly head .660 choke, pistol grip stock, limb saver gel recoil pad and Mueller quick sight. I feel confident out to 70 yds but try to keep it under 40, my pattern is so tight under 10yds is a tough shot! Gun is a dream to shoot "now".

Only thing with Hevi 13 is cost. I shoot a high brass #6 lead shot to get gun close then just a shot or two Hevi13 to finalize patterns and/or adjustments on sights. Lol after buying a box it will make you a better shot cause you don't want to use follow up shots!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Thats about as silly as someone saying they constantly shoot and kill ducks at 70+ yards.....
    You must not hunt much public ground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast