Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations on First SI Image

here is first SI image from 1198 unit. Trying to get this thing fine tuned in an effort to get images as nice as those you guys post who are in the know. Any suggestions are welcome. This one just looks grainy and not what i hoped for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

The sensitivity look to be a little too high ..... Do you have the sharpness turned on in the SI enhanced menu? That will make the fish pop more but make the image more grainy.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Member
    sensitivity was about 11 and sharpness was turned off. basically same setting as what Doug has posted before.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

4. Member
    What about contrast setting? Also, is your SI ducer level when the boat is in the water (not when it's on land or on the trailer)? Do you have the HDSI ducer I hope?

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

5. Member
    Settings can change based on depth, bottom hardness, etc. First, make sure your transducer is level WHILE your scanning. Then play with the sensitivity and other settings. I always liked my sharpness on one just to make the fish pop a little. It does make the image a little grainy buy not bad. Contrast and sensitivity go hand in hand. Play with them and you will find a mix that you like. I ran my sensitivity around 12 or 13 and my contrast lower but like I said, different lakes will be different settings

6. Member
    do have the HDSI transducer, felt like it was level when I installed last year but I am going to recheck the levelness of it this weekend to verify. contrast setting is usually 2 clicks less than the sensitivity (i.e. 11 on sensitivity and 9 on contrast)
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    sensitivity was about 11 and sharpness was turned off. basically same setting as what Doug has posted before.
    As KRY29 indicated .... sensitivity should be adjusted to match bottom hardness and depth. 11 is probably a good starting point, but must be adjusted to achieve a full range of intensity. The above image appears too hot and is somewhat washed out. When the image is too hot, you will miss fish and structure because of the lack of contrast.

8. Member
    ok, went to lake over the weekend and did a little tweaking on the settings, sensitivity around 9 and contrast about 8. No sharpness. This was a creek channel and i know stumps on it though they still dont look as sharply defined as i would expect. Also, while I was out I did a recheck of the levelness of the transducer as suggested and it was off a small amount so will rework this week and try the new orientation next time out. The back edge of the transducer was about a 1/4" too high compared to the front edge of the transducer, maybe 10-15 degrees off level?? Is it that sensitive?

2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

One of the symptoms of a transducer that isn't level is that the shadows would not be exactly perpendicular ..... the shadows off those stumps look pretty good.

I think I would reduce the sensitivity even more ..... must be a pretty hard bottom.

Other ways to improve the clarity would be to reduce the range a little ... and also try 800 Khz. With that hard a bottom you will probably get pretty good range with 800 Khz.

10. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Doug has also posted to bump SENS. down 2 clicks for the Amber colors too.

Next time to the same area, and because you're only in 13 FOW try SENS. - 7 and contrast between 8 and 10.

Use the brown or blue palette 1st and you should get better detail & shadows.

Switch to amber & see how easily it blows out.

I like using it B/C I can see it during the day better but blue, brown and a few of the new Helix color palettes ~ me likey....

Night time is a whole other critter.

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    This was my old 998c HDSI and I did this @ 800KHz which is inherently too hot out of the gate...

If I was using another color AND dialed it down I would have had much more definition and the shadows would have popped very well and full SI would have done better justice to the signal.

I admit, I was gawking...LOL

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

I like the bottom dark enough to see lighter fish streaks over the bottom, not just in the water column. This is a school of shad.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Looks like the sensitivity needs to go down and the contrast up. Also, the settings will be different depending on the color screen you use. It will take a little time but it will get better and better then one day you will look at it and say "I've got this thing looking good"

14. Member
    Thanks guys!! got some more things i can try next time out that i think will help. somehow I was under the impression that the contrast should always be set either equal to or less than what the sensitivity is set on. Will try with more contrast then sensitivity next time. and the other color palletes

also, my images and Robert's have what I would call turbulence on the centerline where the boat is but Wayne's are crystal clear. I assume that is turbulence from the hull on ours? Maybe from the Ranger step hull? my HDSI is mounted on a holeshot plate on the center line of the jackplate.
    Last edited by RangerJim; 01-24-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

15. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    IDC about a little aeration off the hull....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

16. Member
    Use your sensitivity more as a brightness setting and the contrast to kind of clear up the edges of stuff. Like sfw said, you might be getting a little aeration from the hull. That's what the stuff is in the middle of the screen by your boat path. You can still get good images with it but it's best without it.

Thanks guys!! got some more things i can try next time out that i think will help. somehow I was under the impression that the contrast should always be set either equal to or less than what the sensitivity is set on. Will try with more contrast then sensitivity next time. and the other color palletes

also, my images and Robert's have what I would call turbulence on the centerline where the boat is but Wayne's are crystal clear. I assume that is turbulence from the hull on ours? Maybe from the Ranger step hull? my HDSI is mounted on a holeshot plate on the center line of the jackplate.
    With a transom mounted transducer, the faster you go and the higher the SI transducer is above the hull bottom, the more aerated water echoes you will get.

My screenshot was with my bow unit and trolling motor mounted transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Trolling motor............so that is the trick to getting the water column to show crystal clear!
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Trolling motor............so that is the trick to getting the water column to show crystal clear!
    That's one way.
    The other is have the transom transducer far enough below the hull that it cannot see the aerated water. I use an adjustable mount so I can retract the transducer when fishing in timber/stumps. This is one of my transom transducers--note the speed:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Another way is to use 2 SI transducers .... one on each side of the transom and use the AS SILR Y cable .... http://www.humminbird.com/Products/AS-SILR-Y/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast