Thread: Chevy 5.3

Chevy 5.3

2012 Silverado crew cab. 5.3 last oil change I went to full syn. Mobile 1..so now when my change engine oil soon notice comes on do I just reset it once and make a meant note .

3. Member
    If you're looking to extend your oil changes, go ahead and change the oil filter and top it off with more Mobil 1. Wouldn't hurt to spend $20 on an oil analysis to see what the condition of the motor is--if you have many miles on it. Blackstone Labs is the place for oil analysis.

Next time you fully change oil, go for Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance). It's a 15K mile oil that's superior to plain Mobil 1.

4. Member
    Pull the dipstick an wipe on white paper. If it looks new reset it. My 2012 and 2014 ram hemis would look new to 6k miles I swapped at 7500. Oil breaks down with time as well also your first dose has like conventional oil in it. I'd prolly change it now anyways. And if your trying to go 15k you should probly get the 15k oil for better additives that fight the oil breaking down better.

5. Member
    Thanks guys

6. Member
    Just an update...I Changed the oil filter and added a quart of oil...not a lot of color oft in oil..so this weekend I will go full syn..here's my question, by the way oil has about 5500 on it. Now the question, oil even after adding a full quart is low..how much do you think could of been absorbed by the metals within the engine, if any...I was taking back by the oil level...when I chand
    ged it I put in 6 quarts ..

Quote Originally Posted by dadcat41 View Post
    2012 Silverado crew cab. 5.3 last oil change I went to full syn. Mobile 1..so now when my change engine oil soon notice comes on do I just reset it once and make a meant note .
    Wait until it tells you to change it!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Powers Swain Chevy Fishing Team
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

The 5.3s tend to use oil, keep an eye on it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC. 2008 200 HO Etec. 2015 GMC Sierra.

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"

9. Member
    dadcat41, how many miles on your truck ?? if it uses that much oil & is still under warranty you should get it repaired

10. Member
    56000.. did not get extended warranty..just have TO KEEP CLOSE EYE ON IT..

11. Member
    56000.. did not get extended warranty..just have TO KEEP CLOSE EYE ON IT..
    Powertrain warranty is 5yr. 100,000

12. Member
    Did not know that..thanks buddy

13. Member
    Did not know that..thanks buddy
    If I were you, I would contact the local dealer to see when your warranty expires or send me your VIN and I'll check it. Then take the truck in and tell them it is using oil. GM has a new piston and ring kit to install along with a LH valve cover. PM me if I can help.

14. Member
    Amsoil offers a 25k mile oil and filter.
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti