Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 triton set up

hey guys
    I have a 2001 triton tr 19 and a merc 200 efi with 25 tempest plus about 5" set back jack plate
    my pad to prop is about 3 " now started at 3 1/2 "
    now while running with two of us full of gas trimed just at the chinwalk point and still driveable
    the hole boat will do a side skip as if it looses bite on the prop
    i am running right at 60 mph gps wide open at 5100 rpm
    and according to gage 20 psi water
    i know there is a tone more speed and rpm but when i go up more the skipping or loss of bite gets worse
    any knowledge or opinions for me on this thanks in advance

2. Member
    Is the motor a 2.5 or a 3.0L motor. Make sure your measuring your prop to pad right. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 Try a 25" trophy plus and you need an 8" plate to get the most speed. You need to raise the motor up 1/4" at a time until you gain rpm's but lose speed, lose water pressure or bow lift then drop it 1/4" and run it. The higher you can run prop to pad the easier it is to control the chine walk and make sure you level your boat load while setting still and keep your weight in the rear.

3. Member
    I is a 2.5 and i will just have to use the prop and plate i have for now funds you know im hopeing to get the best i can for now up grades will happen when thay can ??? what is the skipping or loss of bite i feel in the set up

ps i did use the set up process that you posted this is how i know where i am at on ptp center

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    How long have you had the boat? & Why did you change p2p in the first place?

5. Member
    Had this boat about 1 year had a Yamaha with a Bob's machine with low water pick up blew it and how have a Merc with factory lower and it does not run at it true potential yet the skipping or prop breaking loose which ever it is is something I have never had I have had bass boats 20 + yeast never had this type of action this is my first triton

6. Member
    Is 5100 as high as the rpm's will go and is the throttle opening all the way or is 5100 it? When you changed motors did you change you fuel lines or anything else? Has everything on this list been done to the motor? http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490 Did the old Yamaha have a fuel filter/water seperator on the fuel line before the motor and is it still in place?

7. Member
    The new install was performed by a dealer all that being said I will check and see where I at throttle adjustment sounds likone thing because of lugging out of hole thanks I'll get to it and get back with findings and corrections

8. Member
    If you have a hot foot make sure it's adjusted right too.

9. Member
    I have the same thing with my new to me TR20. The back end tries to scoot out from under you like the back end of a truck slipping on ice. It has the sensation like you are about spin out and do a 180. It happens about the same speed (58-60) as you stated. It will scare the crap of you as it's totally random an unexpected. I too have never had a boat do this and would like to know what is going on and find a solution.

10. Member
    bassin365 what motor, set back, prop and your prop to pad measurement.

11. Member
    200 merc efi. 6" setback, 3" below pad. It came with a 26p Trophy plus and I have also ran my 24p trophy off my Ranger and it does it with both props. I am about to aquire a 25p Tempest as recommended by someone to reduce stern lift and see if that helps.

12. Member
    that is just like mine bassin365 just like ice
    we have the same set up nut im running the 25 tempest plus 200 efi 6 in set back and im at 3" ptp

13. Member
    Well hopefully some of the knowledge here can point us in the right direction.

14. Banned
    Have you guys asked in the Triton boats section?

15. Member
    bassin365 the 25" tempest should help you with the TR 20 but the TR 19 should be able to run either prop. The only time my TR 21 acted like that was when I has the prop too high prop to pad close to 1/2" under pad with a trophy and letting off the gas without trimming down going faster than 70 and the boat nose hooked. It sounds more like chine walk than any thing else

16. Member
    Thanks mdtritn21 I will try the 25 and raise up to 2 1/2" below pad and see what happens. I will report back with results.

17. Member
    You also need to balance the load in the boat so it sets level side to side and take as much weight as you can out of the front. I'd only raise it 1/4" at a time because a 1/2" is a big jump when your trying to figure out what the boat wants.

18. Member
    10-4. I have pretty much got it balanced by moving some stuff(except when my brother goes, He's a BIG boy).
    Thanks for the help and racer I didn't mean to hijack your thread but maybe some of this info will help you as well.

19. Member
    no Bassin its all good im hoping we all get some good out of this and end up with the ultimate ride thanks every one

20. Member
    That "skipping to the side" sounds like prop blow-out. When that happens, the prop acts just like a wheel on the back of the boat, except that it is spinning clockwise and wants to make the rear of the boat slip hard to the right turning the boat hard left. Pretty dangerous as it can eject anyone in the boat. That being said, motor sounds like it is too high if that is what is really happening. I assume the bottom of the boat and the motor lower unit look sound? IE no bent skeg? No chunks missing from cavitation plate? No serious damage on bottom of pad? Prop is in reasonable shape (have to verify this at a prop shop) as prop damage is not always visible but usually has serious effects on drive ability)? I'd always start with the basics to make sure nothing is broken/bent. I would then lower the motor and start working my way up in 1/4" increments on the jack plate until speed begins to drop or water pressure reaches the 12PSIG level and then back down just a bit.

I am not a fan of 4-blade props, but that is a personal preference, but since you are running a tempest you are good there. My favorite is some flavor of Fury at the moment (3 blade fury). A 25 ought to be in the right range for a normal 200. The 2.5's are a bit down on torque compared to the 3.0's so you might want to back off to a 24 or even 23 depending on hole shot. I am not familiar with your triton but they are typically quite a bit heavier than my bass cat. Heavy hull + small block turns into a hole shot issue. You can play with the PVS plugs to help ventilate the prop on take-off and get the RPM up into the power band of the motor. Other than that, the only help is either less weight, more motor, or less prop pitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast