2004 1756dlx SC battery placement

I added two storage lockers, and a rod locker. Swapped out the 40# 12 volt tm that came on it for a 75# 24 volt, thus gained a battery. When I first did this, I put both tm batts in front of the console. Kept the start battery in the back. I fish alone 90% time. Currently no room for all three in the back.
    Bow seemed to heavy. I moved the tm batts to the rear, and the start battery in front, used a pair of jumper cables, cut the clamps off, put on lug's, they're size 1or 0 cables. More than big enough wire.
    Whenever I fish with another person, when coming off plane, I have to be careful, it wants to swamp it. Buying and installing pods would probably help, don't have enough coin for that.
    Would you move the tm batts back to the front? I'll get some pics if that would help. What have you all done for similar situations?
    Thanks in advance

2. Member
    The open lid is the center locker. Please excuse the mess!

3. Member
    Nice boat and addition. I have a 1756sc Jon, not the DLX. About to upgrade TM and add a battery for a 24v. Thinking about moving the TM batteries to that area under the driving seats by cutting an opening in the area that would be next to your calves when driving. Haven't measured yet, bet should be enough room in front of tank. Guess since you went to 75# that must be a motorguide. I'm trying to decide whether to go to electric or cable steer. Mostly crappie fish.

4. Member
    Thank you. Yes, a motorguide. I just moved the two tm batts to the back. To much weight up front, wasn't trailering good with all three batts up front.
    I went from a Minn Kota to a motorguide, it's been an adjustment. Power button is on the other side, it also moves around alot easier, side to side. Had to add a troll perfect to it, that helped with it moving around.
    Measure alot before you cut!
    As for cable steer vs electric, can't help you their, I've only had cable steer.
    If you can afford it, get variable speed, you'll thank me later. Mines a 5 speed, even on 1, it's to much. I got ahold of motorguide, asked how to slow it down. They said to take the 3 blade prop off, and put on a 2 blade. It worked. I mainly bass fish.
    What is the difference between the Jon SC and mine?

5. Member
    It's a little simpler. 2006 model I think. Didn't have driver seats yet. I installed pedestal bases in that position to put my regular seats in to drive/ride. Up front, no Livewell. Livewell immediately in front of and attached to console.

Stock photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    What did you use, and do, to install your pedestal bases? I've thought of doing that. Trying to figure out how to give them strength with only mounting to sheet metal.
    Looks like they added two storage lockers for it? Nice layout.

7. Member
    I added two up front for spider rigging. There's a lot of bracing under the deck. I added one behind the steering wheel and one where the passenger would ride. They're all really stout. I'm 300# and they're as good as the factory bases. I pulled a storage compartment out up front so I could miss the braces. In back I measured and put them in where they needed to be for comfort. If I'd cut through something I'd have used a longer screw to pull it up to the base. I saw a YouTube video where a guy mounted his TM batteries between the storage boxes under the deck up front. He installed an on board charger up there. My boat needs a little weight up front to get out of the hole. Makes a neat installation.

8. Member
    The other thing I considered was moving the bilge and putting a battery tray next to gas tank in center. That's lots of weight in back though.

9. Member
    I'd talked myself out of mounting extra bases up front, for fear of the screws not holding. Now you have me rethinking it.
    Never thought of also mounting them for driver and passenger. Gonna have to measure for that, our state rights tickets if your sitting above the gunwale, while under power of the engine.

OK, in your first post are you asking what you can do to prevent the prop wash from coming over the transom when you slow down after coming off plane? You mention you could use pods. Do not understand what you mean by pods?

Have you ever seen what guys use while back trolling? You can make them yourself and they help with the back wash.

This guy calls them wave whackers

http://www.wavewackers.com/

Would something like this help?

11. Member
    Interesting. Hadn't thought of that. Thank you