Praying best mattress for a very bad lower back problem ?

I am wondering if any of you have a recommendation for the best mattress for a person with a really bad lower back problem....I have two bad discs at 4 and 5 and arthritis as well in my back. I currently "try" to sleep on a memory foam mattress made by Spring Air. My back is getting worse and the mattress just isn't cutting it! Any help from people with similar back issues would be helpful and thanks...

2. Member
    Sleep Number. Helps me.
    Please release me,let me go.

3. Banned
    My wife uses a BedInABag.com memory foam mattress, and she has a really bad back. It's on a Leggett and Platt adjustable bed--with Magic Fingers. The quality of their foam is superior--not old Chinese foam like all the other companies are using.

Buying beds are a difficult decision. You might have to go to a dedicated mattress store and take a few naps. Everyone's back is different.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Sleep Number. Helps me.
    same here

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I am wondering if any of you have a recommendation for the best mattress for a person with a really bad lower back problem....I have two bad discs at 4 and 5 and arthritis as well in my back. I currently "try" to sleep on a memory foam mattress made by Spring Air. My back is getting worse and the mattress just isn't cutting it! Any help from people with similar back issues would be helpful and thanks...
    Had the same problem. S1,5&4. Had the shots 6 years ago and all is good. I do stretch every morning. Nothing helped mattress wise until I got the shots. Elevating my legs helped.

We we aren't getting any younger. I'm assuming you're around my age (46). I had back problems. Shoulder problems. This year got a bad knee that depending how I move feels like it dislodges. I battle constant problems with tennis elbow.
    I'm finding more and more when I have to get up from bending down working I'm "ugghhhh-ing" a lot.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

6. Member
    If you have the option, don’t use a brand-name mattress. Instead, have a foam-rubber company make you a, 15 cm (6 inch) thick, extra-firm mattress. It’s less expensive than purportedly corrective mattresses and at least as firm and comfortable. If your bed is too hard (as may be the case with some ‘orthopedic beds’), try placing a duvet between the under-sheet and the mattress. This gives a softer surface, especially for a more petite sleeper. Remember that what feels firm to someone of 50 kg (8 stone) is very different to what feels firm to someone of 115 kg (18 stone). The coils or inner springs of a mattress provide the support. Different mattresses vary in their number and arrangement of coils. Padding on top of the mattress comes in many different thicknesses. Mattress depths typically range anywhere from 7 to 18 inches deep. Choosing the number of coils, type of padding and mattress depth should be determined by individual preferences.

7. Member
    Have you looked into getting your back repaired?
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

8. Member
    I have seen a neurosurgeon...waited two and a half months just to see him as he was highly recommended. My discs were described as jelly donuts that had been stomped on too many times. Fusion was the only solution which is a last resort...which creates other issues later on down the road. I am on Gabapentin and it helps quite a bit. Sleeping in one position all night is impossible though as things start to hurt and I have to roll over or under or around about every hour or so. Once I am up and moving in the morning things are fine as long as I am conscious about not twisting or lifting too quickly...I am 53 and have been in the construction business my whole life and it's just taking its toll...I have had the shots for years now and they don't seem to work as well now. Thanks to everybody for their advice!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Sleep Number. Helps me.
    works well for my old bones as well. i also add a pillow between the legs and that usually allows my lower back to relax as well.