Rev limiter BF250

Can someone tell me what to expect when the outboard reaches its max 6300 rpm? Will it sound like a motorcycle, maybe beep, or another sign its maxed out. Getting max 4k rpm at 50mph with a 19p Solas. Throttle all the way forward. Thinking my tach is not on the right setting. If the engine is actually maxing out I may be able to move to a 21p and get maybe 55+ mph. and of course adjust the tach..
    This is a deep v aluminum hull.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Check and make sure you are getting WOT.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. RPM gauge only hits 4k. How else do I know I'm getting WOT?

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    move the throttle all the way open and see if the cable is hitting the stop on the engine. If it has a hot foot you'll need someone to push it down while you look at the engine.

5. Member
    Sounds if tach is on the wrong setting... what year and model is the boat? When the engine hits rev limiter, the engines starts cutting out.

Thanks for the responses. I found the tach was on the wrong setting. It was on "2", I tried position "1" and the tach stayed on 0 rpms. Next I tried position "3" and now the tach reads 6200-6300 at WOT. Being analog, its hard to tell the exact rpm, but the engine never cut out and was clearly over 6k rpm. This is the 2017 White Honda 250. Incredible hole shot and even at 4k rpm's it sets you back in your seat when you open it up! So no complaints with the hole shot, though I hoped it was a tad faster on top end. Getting 53 mph all trimmed up. My earlier report was with the engine all the way down during my break in time. Still may try a 21p Tempest Plus if I can find a loaner.
    Very happy with this Honda. Scary quiet at idle and a mean tone when I hammer it!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Short Strike; 04-18-2017 at 06:15 PM.

7. Member
    The white engines are faster!!!!