Advice for setting up for occasional off roading

I have a 2010 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4. Stock mostly. What are some inexpensive mods for some 4x4 occasional fun. Not looking for anything crazy like rock crawling. Just playing in the mud and snow when the mood strikes. I have some front tow hooks on the way. Should I get a hook for the hitch? Anything else? How do I go about getting a wider stance and how easy/inexpensive is it

Support 81

Not sure that inexpensive and what you're looking to do go together....cost to play....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    level/lift, tires, negative offset wheels would be a start

Quote Originally Posted by tjherring View Post
    level/lift, tires, negative offset wheels would be a start
    Thanks! I've been debating a level kit but I'm concerned about towing and bringing the nose of the truck up higher than the rear. The negative offset is something else I know nothing about. Gonna have to google up. Thanks for a starting point!
    Support 81

5. Member
    you can add helper bags for the rear to counteract the sag when towing. and the negative offset of the wheels will make them stick out further to give you a little wider stance

Sweet thanks. I went to the local shop to get a level kit and inquired about wheels and tires. Thanks to this thread, I wasn't totally lost. Thanks!
    Support 81

7. Member
    make sure to snap some pics once its all done. start a lifted truck challenge in the shutterbug section

Quote Originally Posted by tjherring View Post
    make sure to snap some pics once its all done. start a lifted truck challenge in the shutterbug section
    Got the 2" leveling kit, wheels and tires done! Next up will be a front bumper and winch. But probably not anytime soon.

Support 81

9. Member
    Nice!

Big difference there !!!! Very nice !!!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

11. Banned
    If anyone is wanting to do some basic off road 4 wheeling, they should invest in a good quality set of mud tires. This goes for 4x4 pickups and Jeeps. It's also nice to have both street and non-street tires--and a floor jack, jack stands and impact wrench to easily change out the tires.

And they should make sure their truck has limited slip or lockers for both front and rear axles.