Ok to under prop?

Is this practice ok as long as you don't go over you max RPM?
    Not concerned with speed....I'm thinking I want to under prop no matter what.

2. trapp201pro
    sounds to me like you answered your own question.

3. Banned
    Are you wanting the better holeshot? Did you run that Fury yet?

4. Member
    I'm guessing this only hurts fuel economy, but may help engine run "cleaner"....

Grout-Scout: Going to spin it this Thursday!

5. Member
    i run a 22 pitch raker II with a little extra cup from croxton - this only costs me a few miles per hour, but gives me the handling i'm looking for 90 percent of the time - also, my prop hub does not have any soot in it so i am running more efficient and have excellent holeshot. i run full tanks and full livewells most of the time.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    i run a 22 pitch raker II with a little extra cup from croxton - this only costs me a few miles per hour, but gives me the handling i'm looking for 90 percent of the time - also, my prop hub does not have any soot in it so i am running more efficient and have excellent holeshot. i run full tanks and full livewells most of the time.
    Cool. Thanks

7. Member
    If you can't spin the prop up close to wide open rpm's light then you have too much pitch anyway.

8. Member
    Nothing wrong with under propping,just watch your RPM's. I did that at Okeechobee in a tournament about 15 yrs ago when it was so low. I think I ran either a 20 or 22 Raker on a 225 HO. I was more interested in a quick hole shot.

9. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If you can't spin the prop up close to wide open rpm's light then you have too much pitch anyway.
    +1

10. Member
    Also, if you know you will be in rough water/windy situations, a smaller pitch prop is much better. In rough conditions, I want a prop small enough I can throw the boat around like I need to even between each wave.

11. Member
    I agree with less pitch in rough water. If you have a manual plate set it lower or with a Hydro don't run it up as high. Also trim up slightly less. This will prevent you from over revving.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Also, if you know you will be in rough water/windy situations, a smaller pitch prop is much better. In rough conditions, I want a prop small enough I can throw the boat around like I need to even between each wave.