Thread: What is this?

What is this?

What is the metal part sticking up from the floor between the first battery and gas tank? On the other side it lays flat. Coral 202.

Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    Looks like one of the brackets that's supposed to hold the gas tank down.

3. Member
    ok, so I'm guessing it is supposed to be flat....going under the tank like the other one? How is it supposed to be connected to the plastic tank? Like I said, the other one is flat and goes under the tank I guess. But, I notice that on the other sided (side with the flat bracket) the gas tank will slide forward a little. How in the world would this bracket get bent up like this I wonder? It's been this way since I bought the boat from the original owner.

I almost want to remove it, just to make sure its not/will not rub on the plastic tank.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Member
    My guess is that they were never connected to the tank, just to the bottom of the boat on either side of the tank to hold it in place.

5. Member
    Yes, it is a bracket to keep the gas tank from sliding forward. It is only screwed into the boat, not the tank.
    Yours in the picture is bent over, it should be bent at 90 degrees. The metal should not go under the tank
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

6. Member
    Thanks alan. Now I understand. I'll have to check the other one, it may be right.... I just knew this one looked a lot different. Ha, and I was thinking it didn't need to be against the plastic. Thanks again.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Guessing your boat was in this stage of production on a Friday afternoon!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 201 View Post
    Possibly!! But you never know what to think about some things when you are not the original owner.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Member
    Possibly the same day they slapped an "unlimited" HP rating plate on my 19' boat
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

Or the 34 gallon tank in my 201! Was out in some really rough water with my 10 yr old son once. Was really hoping they didn't put in the floatation foam on a Friday afternoon!! Would be a happy camper if I never was out in water like that again!

I've got the same aluminum angle brackets in my Cajun, attached to bilge floor and bosses built into plastic tank. If yours are bent like that, either someone was wave jumping, or someone rear-ended the boat on the road! You need to pull those brackets, move the tank back into proper position and re-attach new aluminum angle brackets. If the tank is actually sitting on top of one of the brackets as you mention, be concerned about the bracket wearing into the plastic... especially with a full fuel load - that's a lot of weight on the move when it starts sloshing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    The above picture above makes sense, but I don't think mine are mounted correctly. In my boat, the long side of the L bracket is screwed down to the floor and the short (bottom part of the L) part is against the tank. Of course mine are bent up and I have no idea what the last owner may have messed with, but it seems to me that mine should be mounted like CastingCall's pic above, with the short part on the floor and the tall part resting up against the tank. Is that the way it is supposed to be on a Coral? I got new brackets and the holes in the floor will not match up with the adjustment slots on the long side of the bracket.... unless you bend them like the ones I took out . Holes seem to match up right with the short side. Just want to verify before I do it wrong.

Thanks
    Joe
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

13. Member
    Mine were done with the short side of the L screwed into the boat floor & the long side up against tank. Make sure the tank is pushed back toward the transom as far as it will go. Straighten out the brackets & install them right up against the tank. Drill new holes if you need to-there is no reason to assume it was done exactly right the first time. Be sure to seal any open, unused old holes if needed
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

14. Member
    Thanks again Alan. Everything will line up perfect with the short side down. I plan on using some 3m 4200 in the screw holes. Thanks
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI