Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New to Kayak Fishing

I am considering getting a kayak to fish in. I am in college and have a Nissan Xterra with a factory roof rack. I am wondering what kayak would be best for small bodies of water (preferably under $500) and the best way to store and transport a kayak while at school?
    Thanks

2. Member
    In the new category the basspro ascend fs12t is not bad, however it is not extremely light for car topping. 77lbs will not be easy to put on top of an xterra. Might want to look for some used yaks that come in a little lighter.
    sit on top models are preferred for fishing but a sit in can work as well. You might search for local paddle groups or facebook for local yak fishing groups. Best advice is to try before you buy.
    You can buy straps with locks to secure yak to roof rack or run a steel cable through the scupper holes if the yak is a sit on top if you can't leave it home.

3. Member
    I have a 9 ft Malibu Stealth that only weighs 45 lbs or so. I was able to buy a "Blemished " model from a dealer. But, your best buys will be lightweight used yak's. You'll normally get an upgrade seat, paddles and more. With Christmas coming, lots of used yak's should be available. Try to get a sea trial before buying.

Mine was 729.00, and it car tops like a dream. However, before I found it, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on another 10' Perception that was on sale for 300 and only 41 lbs. Check out my other threads on here for pics of my Pescador. 57 lbs.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

5. Member
    Incidentally, your weight and physical abilities have a lot to do with the "right" kayak for you. I'm a big, clumsy old guy so my first yak was wide and heavy. Got me going. I still own it, but it is like a barge to paddle compared to my Stealth.

As time goes on, you will decide WHERE you will most often yak and what type of yak best fits you and your intended location.

Generally speaking...short for small streams...long for long distances ...wide for stability...narrower for speed.

More weight actually adds to stability but makes it much more difficult to throw on a roof. If you opt for a trailer..you can have any yak that you want.

richg99

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    As time goes on, you will decide WHERE you will most often yak and what type of yak best fits you and your intended location.

richg99
    That's a great point Rich. I find that there's only 3 or 4 places that I really love to yak. They are all 100 acres or less and have little or no boat traffic. Also several easy launching spots. I factored that in when choosing mine.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

7. Member
    Pescador Pro is also a great yak. If you can wait till spring when people start buying new you cam grab a good used yak for cheap.

perception or ascend seem to be the more popular names popping up here. Biggest thing if it was me starting out I would get the most stable kayak (wider kayak at least 10 feet long) I could find with a suspension style seat. Having a foam pad to sit in without any useful draining of water makes for a pretty miserable day of fishing. You never want to feel unsafe in it either.

Try to find a shop that you could demo some kayaks with. Even if you don't buy that specific model due to your budget you can at least get a feel for the type of kayak that would suit you better that you feel safe in.

9. Member
    Yeah, the seat is verrrrry important.