Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Angry Road through farm I hunt.

On the last week there have been 6 bucks and 2 does that I know.of run over and killed on the road that divides the farm I hunt. So far this year cars 11 deer hunters 1.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

There have been a bunch of deer run over down here too..unusually large amount...I think it has a lot to do with the weather...the way the deer are moving...it's weird...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

3. Member
    body business in my area has picked up quite a bit since November 12th.

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    The local Enterprise Rental said they had 12 in the body shop for deer colisions.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

5. Member
    as of this week (Holiday), you couldn't find a rental at all due to increase of wrecks right now.

The Shop we sub out to was booked till 2nd week in December till they could get one of our own cars in there. We were barely getting squeezed in at that point. Granted not all are deer/animal hits, but it sure added to the chaos for sure.

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    If I could see 5 dead bucks in 1/4 mile of a mile of road frontage, how many were hit and drug themselves out of sight?
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    If I could see 5 dead bucks in 1/4 mile of a mile of road frontage, how many were hit and drug themselves out of sight?
    more than you want to know.

8. Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar
    That's too bad.

I grew up just north of Pittsburgh, PA and my Dad taught me early on, when driving, to watch for deer, especially in the fall. I always scan the sides of the road when driving, especially in rural areas. I taught both of my kids to keep an eye peeled for deer, and they have both avoided hitting deer a few times.

I understand that it can happen to you anyway, but I really think most people have no idea, and just never learned to keep a close eye out for deer when they're behind the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerhgm View Post
    That's too bad.

I grew up just north of Pittsburgh, PA and my Dad taught me early on, when driving, to watch for deer, especially in the fall. I always scan the sides of the road when driving, especially in rural areas. I taught both of my kids to keep an eye peeled for deer, and they have both avoided hitting deer a few times.

I understand that it can happen to you anyway, but I really think most people have no idea, and just never learned to keep a close eye out for deer when they're behind the wheel.
    You're correct, most people don't have no clue. You see it when a deer runs out in front of a vehicle a few up from you...how many actually hit their brakes. It amazes me at the folks that never pull away or at least tap their brakes...I had to put one down the other evening laying on the side of the road someone had hit.. 3 broken legs....I hate doing it execution style like that but I refuse to drive by and leave one to die that way...

Jonathan Hillstrand

If there's a deer crossing sign in the area it may be wise to move it to a safer place for them to cross... I couldn't help it, had to throw that out there.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

11. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I've seen that
    No for some reason there is no deer crossing sign there even though it probably has more hit there than anywhere in the county.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I've seen that
    No for some reason there is no deer crossing sign there even though it probably has more hit there than anywhere in the county.
    Those damned deer don't pay any attention to those signs anyway!

I've seen a lot of notable bucks along the road alive this year. Along 69 going to Kentucky Lake last month I saw 4 small bucks dead and one that looked like its head had been taken. Wonder if it has to do with the long, warm fall making food available everywhere so the does are scattered.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I work at a sheriffs office and we have received a ton of deer vs vehicle calls this year. More so than i recall the last 6 or so years
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

14. Member
    i have been told that deer like the grass beside the road because it has had salt put on it,i guess from winter time salting of roads might just be rumor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i have been told that deer like the grass beside the road because it has had salt put on it,i guess from winter time salting of roads might just be rumor
    That's not that far fetched. The bighorn sheep in out area can often be seen down on the shoulder of the road in the winter eating salt.
    I'd say you at the very least contact the county and have them install deer crossing signs along that stretch. You might also cut the trees back to make it less likely for a deer just to jump out infront of a car. I'd say for every one you see hit there are multiple near misses
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Ok so what's the excuse for the deer in the south where the roads dont get salt on them during the winter maybe once....?

Jonathan Hillstrand

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    I drove through there at 4 this morning and a deer crossed the road in front of me. There just happens to be a road to cross between a popular feeding and bedding area.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Here alot of the deer activity is right at dusk when Hunters are coming out of the woods.
    Why cant the large insurance companies research on genetically implanting "fear of cars" into their brain?