Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ultrex And Heading Sensor

Does anyone know if the Ultrex iPilot version comes with a Heading Sensor puck or is it a separate accessory? Does it come with a stabilizer bar? I am have ordered the Ultrex on my new boat and need to know if I have to purchase these separate.

Thanks.

2. Member
    Yes and yes

Excellent! Thank you.

4. Member
    So now let's hijack the thread. . . And ask where folks are mounting the Ultrex's Bluetooth heading sensor?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    So now let's hijack the thread. . . And ask where folks are mounting the Ultrex's Bluetooth heading sensor?
    My $.02, if your running leds for navigation lights I would pull the stock light mount up front or out back and put it there. Preferably front for me but just personal preference. Also, I've started using some 3m double sided tape with a 30lb hold strength. No more holes for me, that stuff is bad to the bone.

6. Banned
    Gazoo, where are they putting it or where they are supposed to be putting it? The ones I've seen here so far are in the wrong spots, but I guess if it's working for them...
    Last edited by grout-scout; 11-25-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Damn iPhone word changing piece of crap

7. Member
    Where are they supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jig N Pig View Post
    Where are they supposed to be?
    Where the Bluetooth communication can connect to the motor and where there is no high current, magnets, or steel areas that will affect the compass (magnet). You test your boat for the best location.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    thanks Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Gazoo, where are they putting it or where they are supposed to be putting it? The ones I've seen here so far are in the wrong spots, but I guess if it's working for them...
    Where did you put yours?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
    Where did you put yours?
    I don't have an ultrex, but from pics I've seen here, people mount them (heading sensors) right next to the trolling motor. You have to take a compass and move it around the area you'd like to put it and make sure there is no electrical interference. Right now I'm not sure I'll buy an ultrex, few things I've read that I don't care for.

I don't have an ultrex, but from pics I've seen here, people mount them (heading sensors) right next to the trolling motor. You have to take a compass and move it around the area you'd like to put it and make sure there is no electrical interference. Right now I'm not sure I'll buy an ultrex, few things I've read that I don't care for.
    Ahh. You might be thinking of a photo of where mine is I posted a couple of weeks ago when I got my Ultrex. I have both my heading sensors (MK and HB) mounted on the tool holder by my foot pedal. I used the compass method from a video that the guy who moderates the HB board made. It wasn't the best spot but it was a close 2nd and I didn't have to drill holes in a new boat. I had to adjust it 2 degrees I think and fished the snot out of some brush piles this summer with no problems I could tell. I put my MK sensor right behind it and did the calibration that MK instructs you to do and the both seem to be working fine. I only got to use my boat 2 days before weather shut me down. The jog function seemed to work fine.

I'm going to be somewhat close to you (Canyon Lake) mid January through March or April. If you don't get a chance to try one out before then you are welcome to give mine a test drive and give me some pointers. Spot lock is pretty impressive.

13. Banned
    Syncros, that's why I threw in the "if it's working" part. I've also seen lowrance guys stick point1 antennas up there too and sometimes they will work. When I checked my boat with the compass, the needle went nuts. I was really limited on locations (talking about the point 1 still), I've been scratching my head thinking about where I could put the Ulterx heading sensor.

Why in the heck are you coming to Canyon?

Syncros, that's why I threw in the "if it's working" part. I've also seen lowrance guys stick point1 antennas up there too and sometimes they will work. When I checked my boat with the compass, the needle went nuts. I was really limited on locations (talking about the point 1 still), I've been scratching my head thinking about where I could put the Ulterx heading sensor.

Why in the heck are you coming to Canyon?
    To get away from winter for 3 months. Winter is killing me anymore. And my parents have a place there so I have some place to stay for free.

My placement logic might not make sense to you guys with a ton of experience and knowledge and stems from a bit of worry about making a mistake that is not easy to fix (holes in the bow top cap, deck, ect) and not knowing how to run wires easily in this Ranger because of all the foam (like if I mounted it on the deck). They both seem to be working fine but I could be missing something.

The MK sensor is just a heading sensor with no gps as that is built into the head. I'm not sure what, if anything, it does beyond the jog feature. It doesn't have to be close to the motor (like the HB to mark WP accurately) so I may move the MK puck to on the deck close to the gunnel behind the drivers seat.

15. Member
    It actually does a lot more, especially for accuracy in autopilot mode/heading lock. I am scratching my head trying to figure out where to mount as well, I know my point 1 has been a struggle.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger MN View Post
    It actually does a lot more, especially for accuracy in autopilot mode/heading lock. I am scratching my head trying to figure out where to mount as well, I know my point 1 has been a struggle.
    The Heading sensor is just for the Jog feature.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger MN View Post

I don't think I'm wording what I'm saying about the Ultrex clearly so I'm going to bold what I'm trying to say, and only what I'm trying to say. I'm not implying anything about any function or accuracy beyond the below.
    You can use the Ultrex without the heading sensor and the only function you lose on the standard ipilot is the ability to jog. On the ipilot link you would lose jog and the circle way point function. I confirmed this with MK this AM.

The heading sensor does not impact the accuracy of spot lock
    (which is 99% of why I bought an Ultrex). I confirmed this with MK this AM.

The MK sensor with the Ultrex, per MK, is only a heading sensor, it has no GPS functions/impact beyond that as all the other GPS functions are built into the head of the Ultrex. I confirmed this with MK this AM.

I've only used my Ultrex about 8 hours over two days and can't speak to how all the advanced features work in the real world and where I put my heading sensor. It does know port from starboard and the jog function works. I mounted the MK heading sensor at 9 pm the night I got it and fished the next two days just to make sure it all worked before I winterized my boat. It was placed where it was for a couple of reason but primarily it was quick, convenient, didn't leave any holes in my boat in case it wasn't in a good spot (or if I decide not to use it) and had easy to tap into power. I thought I had seen other boats with two pucks next to each other so I didn't think it would be a problem. It's as simple at that and I apologize for my mistake.

I used the compass method to find a good place from my HB puck this summer and it seemed to work find but I just use it to line up my casts to things I've marked off shore. I didn't even realize I'd done something wrong until I posted a picture of where my MK and HB pucks were and Grout-Scout and Wayne commented on how it was wrong. How sad is that? LOL. I'll probably pull the MK puck out of my boat this week sense I'm not sure how much I'll use the jog function and can live without it.

Hopefully I can meet up with Grout -Scout when I get to Texas and he can show me what I did wrong and where I should put my puck/s.

I'm not sure what the 1 point does as I'm a HB guy, but my understanding is that the the Humminbird puck has GPS antenna in addition to the heading sensor. I can't keep all the HB gps/pucks straight but at one point some of the pucks were more accurate than the internal gps antenna build into the units. For some reason you wanted your GPS puck as close to your transducer as you could get it so your WP were more accurate which is why I kept mine at the front of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
    I don't think I'm wording what I'm saying about the Ultrex clearly so I'm going to bold what I'm trying to say, and only what I'm trying to say. I'm not implying anything about any function or accuracy beyond the below.
    You can use the Ultrex without the heading sensor and the only function you lose on the standard ipilot is the ability to jog. On the ipilot link you would lose jog and the circle way point function. I confirmed this with MK this AM.

The heading sensor does not impact the accuracy of spot lock
    (which is 99% of why I bought an Ultrex). I confirmed this with MK this AM.

The MK sensor with the Ultrex, per MK, is only a heading sensor, it has no GPS functions/impact beyond that as all the other GPS functions are built into the head of the Ultrex. I confirmed this with MK this AM.

I've only used my Ultrex about 8 hours over two days and can't speak to how all the advanced features work in the real world and where I put my heading sensor. It does know port from starboard and the jog function works. I mounted the MK heading sensor at 9 pm the night I got it and fished the next two days just to make sure it all worked before I winterized my boat. It was placed where it was for a couple of reason but primarily it was quick, convenient, didn't leave any holes in my boat in case it wasn't in a good spot (or if I decide not to use it) and had easy to tap into power. I thought I had seen other boats with two pucks next to each other so I didn't think it would be a problem. It's as simple at that and I apologize for my mistake.

I used the compass method to find a good place from my HB puck this summer and it seemed to work find but I just use it to line up my casts to things I've marked off shore. I didn't even realize I'd done something wrong until I posted a picture of where my MK and HB pucks were and Grout-Scout and Wayne commented on how it was wrong. How sad is that? LOL. I'll probably pull the MK puck out of my boat this week sense I'm not sure how much I'll use the jog function and can live without it.

Hopefully I can meet up with Grout -Scout when I get to Texas and he can show me what I did wrong and where I should put my puck/s.

I'm not sure what the 1 point does as I'm a HB guy, but my understanding is that the the Humminbird puck has GPS antenna in addition to the heading sensor. I can't keep all the HB gps/pucks straight but at one point some of the pucks were more accurate than the internal gps antenna build into the units. For some reason you wanted your GPS puck as close to your transducer as you could get it so your WP were more accurate which is why I kept mine at the front of the boat.

The Lowrance Point 1 is a combo GPS antenna and Heading Sensor just like the Humminbird GPS/ Heading Sensor antenna AS GPS HS

The Point 1 is a network antenna and the AS GPS HS is a unit antenna.

The Minnkota Heading Sensor is just that.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Can the HB GPS with heading sensor be used in an HB/MK linked system instead of the MK heading sensor for spot lock jog and circle waypoint functions?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottCook View Post
    Can the HB GPS with heading sensor be used in an HB/MK linked system instead of the MK heading sensor for spot lock jog and circle waypoint functions?
    No, two different animals besides the Minn Kota hs uses bluetooth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast