Merc Fourstroke - Oil not draining

Very weird problem on my Merc Fourstroke. Serial #2B223384

Went to change my oil with the side drain with a hose connected, but when I turned the valve (2.5 times) to loosen, there is a VERY VERY slow drain of oil. Like drops. Granted it's cool outside (45 degrees) but but no means that cold. I took the filter off, the filler cap off and still not draining. it's been open and draining for about 20 minutes now and I'd say about half of a cup came out so far. This is crazy.

Any ideas on getting this oil draining?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

2. Member
    Check that drain and make sure no mud dobbers have started a nest. We have problems down south with them building nests in any hole anywhere.
    Last edited by suprtrkr1974; 11-23-2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Add more info

Quote Originally Posted by suprtrkr1974 View Post
    Check that drain and make sure no mud dobbers have started a nest. We have problems down south with them building nests in any hole anywhere.
    Bingo. Ended up taking the whole drain valve thingy out and had what looked like a spider jammed up in there. Going to put her back together and finish my oil change. Thanks!!!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    Bingo. Ended up taking the whole drain valve thingy out and had what looked like a spider jammed up in there. Going to put her back together and finish my oil change. Thanks!!!
    I don't know how key this is - but from the maintenance manual below, it suggests you must not remove the drain entirely .... I am sure Don will be on soon to advise

Hope it is all ok

Jeff

OIL CHANGING PROCEDURE
    1. Tilt the outboard out/up past vertical for approximately one minute to allow
    any trapped oil to drain back to the oil sump.
    2. Tilt the outboard to a vertical position.
    MAINTENANCE
    80 eng
    3. Use a 16 mm (5/8 in.) wrench and loosen the oil drain valve so that it can
    be turned by hand. Be careful not to open the valve too far allowing oil to
    drain.
    4. Attach a 12 mm (7/16 in.) I.D. drain hose to the oil drain valve. Position
    the opposite end of the hose into an appropriate container.
    5. Loosen the oil drain valve 2‑1/2 turns to allow oil to drain. Do not exceed
    2‑1/2 turns.
    IMPORTANT: Do not loosen the oil drain valve more than 2‑1/2 turns out. The
    oil seal could get damaged beyond 2‑1/2 turns.

6. After the oil has drained, hand‑tighten the oil drain valve (clockwise) and
    remove the oil drain hose.
    7. Tighten the oil drain valve to the specified torque. Clean up any oil in the
    valve area.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely avoid removing the fitting, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Be sure to monitor CLOSELY for oil leaks.

Always a good idea to warm the engine up before beginning oil/filter change procedure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Definitely avoid removing the fitting, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Be sure to monitor CLOSELY for oil leaks.

Always a good idea to warm the engine up before beginning oil/filter change procedure.
    It was absolutely necessary to drain the oil. I'll keep a close eye for leaks.

Thanks Don!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and in the nuts/bolts section there is a drawer with caps after your finished with your oil change install one to keep debris out.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and in the nuts/bolts section there is a drawer with caps after your finished with your oil change install one to keep debris out.
    I've seen water coming out of there at idle would capping the oil drain cause any issues?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

No idea why there would be water coming out of there...
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    No idea why there would be water coming out of there...
    Dont know but apparently it's normal
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=597461
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Where would you guess the water comes from?

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    Funny, I just took pictures/videos of the water coming from there as well. I have no idea and was wanting to know the same thing.

So your saying water comes out the same fitting that you drain the oil from your crankcase? or is it coming out from around the fitting? I guess we will have to wait for Don to reply on this one but if there is a water hose attached in any way to a fitting that leads straight to the oil sump that would be a concern.
    Last edited by bassbama; 12-04-2016 at 12:59 PM.

The water is around fitting, not from drain. The cavity behind is filled in water, the drain is not leaking water.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water coming from AROUND the fitting (it's actually exiting from the lower cowling at any point it can) is NORMAL.

Some of the cooling circuit "dumps" are dropped into the lower cowling (such as the FSM).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor